Friday, June 27, 2008

Scout Camp

I loved scout camp when I was a scout but dread it every year now that I am an adult. In our troop, the dads are asked to come up at least one night and one day to provide supervision. Since I have had two boys at camp the last two years, I have spent at least two-three days at camp. Last year was miserable. I seriously dreaded this year but it wasn't as bad as it could have been. I realized the reason I didn't want to go was threefold: humidity, mosquitos, and very bad food. I didn't have to deal with humidity or mosquitos in California as a scout, just bad food. But even the food I had as a scout at camp was superior to this "food". Thinking that they couldn't ruin a sealed cup of pudding, I took one with my dinner the other night only to throw it out after opening it. It looked funny and when I looked at the expiration date, I saw that it had been expired for over a year. How has somebody not died from Camp Wakonda food? On the plus side, the boys got along very well and needed very little discipline. I was very proud of our troop for the way they handled themselves. I am just glad to be home sleeping in my own bed. You really shouldn't sleep outside on the ground after the age of 35. Other than the mosquitos and the food, camp wasn't too bad this year. It didn't get hot until Wednesday and it didn't rain - until Wednesday night after I left.

Dan is working on Environmental Science, Fishing, Rifle, and First Aid. Jared is doing a program called Eagle Quest. It is designed to get the boys through their Tenderfoot, 2nd Class, and !st Class badges. Jared was already only one requirement from 2nd Class so hopefully he will be done with 1st class when he gets home tomorrow. Dan will be done with his Star badge if he finishes his merit badges. Both of them seemed to really be enjoying camp. I was a little worried about Jared being homesick like Dan was last year but he was doing great.

3 comments:

chelsey said...

I'm so glad I don't have to go to scout camp. You have no idea how glad! :)

Papa Doc said...

Way to go, boys! Sounds like they are working their way to Eagle. I'm truly glad they like scouts. I think it's great for boys and teaches them a lot of practical things. Ammon participates rarely - more because parents are more involved than the troop. But he likes to go - has all the things memorized he needs to become a real scout. We need to pass those off before the hospital visits. He might forget what he learned.
I, too, am very glad I don't ever have to go to scout camp. I don't like camping and I hate sleeping on the ground. I will happily turn this kind of stuff over to the guys. Did you eat any ants this year?

Jason said...

I haven't eaten an ant in years. I will assume that they still taste like rasberries (with a crunch).