Sunday, June 8, 2008

The Ox is in the mire

I am tired. I got a phone call this morning about an hour before church from our Elder's quorum president asking if I would be willing to help sandbag. Caleb, me, and about 40 men from our ward spent the day sandbagging. Thankfully, the rain has held off for the most part but the river is still rising. It is not expected to peak until next weekend. As such, I am not sure we have done enough. There were well over 100 people there helping out including the Red Cross and the Salvation Army. One of the people in the neighborhood brought his grill out and grilled up hotdogs for the 20-30 of us in our section. I don't know how many sandbags we filled but I know we went through 5 dump truck loads in the first 3 hours in our section alone. I really feel for the people who are being affected by this event but they seem to be taking it with a smile. One of the city engineers said that as soon as the res tops the spillway, our work will probably be washed away. Let's hope not.

4 comments:

Jess and Jen said...

Sounds like a busy day...much more exhausting than our Sunday meetings of chasing a 15 month old around the halls. We hope you guys dry out and that the situation doesn't get too much worse.

Jen

Papa Doc said...

Wow. I heard that Indiana was in trouble, but I did not think of you guys being inundated, too. So would a flood affect your area?

Dad Clark

Jason said...

The flood will not affect us directly. We live at one of the highest spots in the city. So far, only two main roads have been shut down but the res is forecast to top the spillway around midnight tonight and that will lead to a lot of trouble. Nothing like what is going on in IN right now but a mess never the less. We'll get some pictures.

Papa Doc said...

Please do send some photos -- I am worried for everybody. Not only do people lose houses and everything they own, but it will also affect our economy, especially in Indiana because the farmers can't get in to plant their corn. Corn prices will soar even higher than they have been.
I have been to tired lately to stay up and watch the news so I didn't know this was all happening until last night.
I hope you are all safe and that the sandbagging you did holds up.
Mom