Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Good news!

The flood waters are starting to recede. The river crested a full day and a half early and a foot and a half short of the forecast. Thank heavens for small favors. I can tell from my office window that the water is starting to go down, barely down but down never the less. The university got hit pretty hard. 2 million square feet in 16 buildings were flooded, including Hancher Auditorium with its 36 grand pianos. Although some of the pianos made it to higher ground, the majority didn't make it. It is going to take a while before everything returns to normal.

Roads are starting to open once again. I-80 and I-380 just reopened this morning and people are being allowed back into their businesses and homes in Cedar Rapids. The water is still too high for anyone to even think about returning here in Iowa City, though. We have a curfew in effect each night in an effort to keep people away from the river when it gets dark.

1 comment:

Papa Doc said...

All this just boggles my mind! I couldn't believe the photo with the Fine Arts building being innundated. Did the University lose any artwork? I'm thinking not because those can be moved, but it makes me so sad to think about all the pianos that were lost. It will be a good long while before things will be back to normal. Since you said you could see from your office I'm assuming that you are able to work and get there safely.
What a mess!
Mom