Sunday, February 27, 2011

Freeze Fest 5K Race, Marion, Iowa

Friday morning I woke up to this outside. I was a bit disappointed since we had a tease of Spring just a week earlier with temps in the 60's so having snow again isn't fun. Plus I knew I had a race the next day and didn't want to be too cold.

Saturday morning, February 26th, woke up to more snow and it was spitting snow outside so I was still a bit bummed out, but knew being February that I took that chance when I registered for this race.

The race is called Freeze Fest, so basically if you don't want to be freezing you shouldn't register for such race.

Brenden was super excited and asked me to sign him up also. My friend Stephany and my friend Tracy also both signed up so they were there too! We all rode together!


All of us together before the race. Tracy, Stephany, Brenden, and Me

Brenden and I getting ready for the race, just getting our race numbers on.






















Tons and tons of COOKIES!!! I love cookies and there were all kinds. I was so looking forward to all of them!




















Tracy, Stephany and me taking a picture of ourselves. We had such a great time and laughed a lot. We are looking forward to our trip to Columbus for our Half Marathon on May 7th together!
































































Brenden won 3rd place in his age group. I am so proud of him for finishing the race. At around 1 mile and a half, Brenden's calf in his left leg was hurting so he stopped along side of the road and he was so upset that it was hurting so bad that he starting crying and then he had an asthma attack, so he walked for a while. I came up beside him and walked with him for around 3-4 minutes. He finally told me to "Just go so I wouldn't lose the race." He did end up finishing the race and I'm glad he did. He told me it was hard to finish with his legs hurting, but he wanted to show he could still do it. At the end of the race they gave away some really awesome door prizes. Brenden won a $70 running jacket. He was thrilled.
Here's all of us at the end with our race shirts on that we were given. This race was neat because they did the race shirts in all kinds of different colors.

4 comments:

The Duke said...

I'm really impressed with both of you. Brenden was a trooper to finish the race- and to think that he got third! Awesome!
Congratulations to both of you crazies running in that kind of weather.

Linda said...

I'm always inspired by your posts! Keep running!

Jason said...

If you ask me, they are both a bit nuts. I am sure there is a diagnosis for whatever ails them.

Alyssa said...

Wow I would have rather done that race than the Gaelic Gallop