Monday, January 26, 2009

A little bit of this and a little bit of that

It is another frigid day in the midwest. But within another 6 weeks we should be breaking 40 degrees with some regularity. At least I hope so.

I spoke in Church yesterday. I ended up speaking on keeping our eye on the mark and staying on course. I felt it went fairly well. It seems like I never get to say everything I have planned but maybe that is a good thing. I also did some hometeaching interviews yesterday. In my mind, this is where the action really takes place. I got to know a couple of the men that I really didn't know very well and we had what I felt were some meaningful discussions. I feel very fortunate to be serving with a great group of men. It is also very interesting to see the humility of such an educated group of men. Although I have a Master's degree, I am in the bottom third in terms of formal education. It is very gratifying to see a group of men who make their living largely by relying on emperical evidence discussing faith and hope and the atonement of Jesus Christ. I am indeed fortunate.

I am also acutely aware of my aging. Don't get me wrong, I am still a young man (no laughing!) but the other day when my baby lost his first tooth, I realized that I really don't have a baby anymore. I really don't like these landmarks much. Scott has another loose tooth and this morning was telling me that he couldn't eat his cereal because he couldn't chew. What a thespian. Oh well, life goes on.

No comments: