Thursday, May 8, 2008

Last night

Last night was the Pinewood Derby. It was our 12th car. I refuse to make the car for the boys but I will cut out their design. After that, it is their ball of wax. Although Brenden didn't do as well as Jared did last year (Jared is the first one of my boys to win it all), he still won two of his three heats. However, instead of doing it like they did when I was a Cub Scout, it is all high tech now. There is actually a software program that sets up the heats, records the winners (read by infrared at the end of the track), and calculates an average speed for each car. The winner is the car with the fastest average speed. This is kind of nice because you only have to run three heat total and don't have to worry about a championship round. It really speeds things up. Brenden's average speed was unfortunately just under the third place finisher.

We also had a band concert last night. Right after we finished up with Brenden, we ran next door to the high school for Jared's spring concert. He looked sharp up there on the stage in his white shirt and tie. I was somewhat shocked that some of his fellow band members were in jeans and tee shirts. For a young man that complains how much he doesn't like band, he can sure play that trumpet of his. I usually really dislike going to elementary school band concerts because it is not really music yet. However, his band sounded pretty good.

Well, I need to get back to work. I have a faulty incubator that I need to fix this morning. It won't hold the CO2 concentration that I have set. I hope the problem is as simple as a leaky tube.

2 comments:

Jess and Jen said...

I can't believe you've done 12 pinewood derby cars, while I'll probably never do one.

The trumpet is a great instrument. I'm glad Jared is playing. While I didn't stick with trumpet, band was invaluable.

Papa Doc said...

jason, I had six boys and many, many pinewood derby cars. I used the last on I helped on with Ammon just a year ago. He was the winner. I never want to help with another car or see a derby again! I lost track of how many derbies I have been to. I was 59 when I went to my last one, so stick around.

Dad Clark