Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Lucky to be alive

It's crazy how sometimes you just know when something is wrong.  I'm glad that I had a massive prompting this morning to go to the emergency room.

I woke up at 4a.m. and my leg felt as if it was being cut off.  At least I'm imagining that my pain is what that would feel like anyway.  It hurt so bad that I knew I needed medical attention and quickly.

I woke up Jason and told him I was done taking pain medications to mask the pain and I needed to get to a doctor quickly.

After a very long almost 9 hour day in the ER, I found out that I have a blood clot in my left calf.  Thank goodness the blood clot is still attached and is below the knee. 

I now have to take an injection of Lovenox 100mg/ml for 5 days.  Today was my first injection in my stomach (because that is where they found the fattiest tissue) and it hurt so bad.  Then I also have to take Coumadin 5mg by mouth daily for 2-3 months.

This will be a very hard trial for me.  One reason is because I have enjoyed donating plasma for 9 years, twice a week and now I won't be able to do that for a long time and maybe never again.  It was important for me to do this for others since I WAS so healthy and had great plasma to give and also because of the extra income it provided to our family to do fun things once in a while like take them on vacations, go to movies, register for races, and get pizza.  Now that plasma of mine is tainted with a blood thinning medication that I need to have to get rid of my blood clot.

I have much to be grateful for and I need to remember that, especially now when I feel like I've had one of the worst days ever.

I love my family very much and I'm glad I'm still here to be with them.

2 comments:

Jason said...

I'm kinda glad you are still with us too. Did you do your injection this morning?

Michelle said...

NO