Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Frustrated with my injury

So I'm sitting here WAITING on a call from the clinic to see if my insurance has finally approved another MRI.  Seriously this waiting is killing me.

Here's the story if you want to read on:
The last Friday of October, on October 26th, I did this AWESOME Halloween race called Screaming Pumpkin.  You could choose between a marathon, marathon relay or quarter marathon (6.55 miles).  My friend and I did the quarter marathon.   While in the race I had to get a picture and it was off the running trail.  So at 1.3 miles into the race, I went off the path and stepped into a ditch that I didn’t see was a ditch because it was filled with leaves so I fell over a foot, rolled the ankle and it hurt bad.  Then I sat screaming out loud.  Guess I should have been dressed as a pumpkin and not a bee.   However there was still 5 miles in the race so I continued on for the last 5 miles and just ran through the
pain. (Mistake #1)


I was fine, or so I thought because the more I ran the better it felt, it was just getting numb I guess.  That night when I got home I iced it and went to bed,  and as expected the ankle swelled up huge for the next two days. I had it x-rayed 2 days after the incident and they saw nothing. The swelling went down and a week and 1 day later I ran a half marathon on it. (Mistake #2).  However disclaimer here:  I only ran that race because the doctor that reviewed my x-rays said this, "Michelle I don't see a break, so if all the swelling goes down and you feel fine in a week then go ahead and try the race.  You may be just fine with a little soreness."    That afternoon after the race it hurt, but not badly and it swelled up again, but within a day this time the swelling was gone, it was sore, but okay. I decided to stay off it for a while and not run which is what I should have continued doing to begin with.

2 days after this half marathon race which was now 1 week and 4 days from the original injury it was hurting so bad that I went into the Sports Medicine clinic. It was examined and determined that it was just a bad sprain, but just to rest and within 4 weeks it should feel better. I was then sent over to PT (Mistake #3 as you will read) which is where I think the worst things happened.

The physical therapist lady moved the foot around and made me do all kinds of crazy exercises to “strengthen” the ankle.  My ankle hurt so bad during some of her movements and I told her, but she said well that's normal to be sore after a sprain.   That night it was throbbing bad.  I had to ice it that night and stay off it completely.   After last Monday, November 5th my ankle throbbed and has hurt every single day progressively worse to the point that when I walk up and down stairs it feels like the ankle is separating from the foot.  I have not done any impact cardio since that Half Marathon, no Zumba, no running, nothing of impact.

By this Monday, November 12th it hurt so bad that I pleaded with the Sport's Medicine clinic to get me in asap.  I got in for a late Monday afternoon appointment, So then 2 weeks and 4 days after the original injury I went back in again to see the doctor and told him of the severe pain and how I felt that PT only made it worse. He felt around on it, did some tests on my foot and an x-ray and said that he is 90% sure that I have either a stress fracture or a Syndesmotic Sprain (in English means a high ankle sprain which can only be fixed by a cast, boot, or surgery with pins). He said he would have to get an MRI to see for sure what the heck is going on in there and from there I will hopefully be fixed.
I would have had the MRI on Monday night and then I’d know by now, but my insurance is dragging their feet since I just had an MRI on the left knee and they are trying to make sure it’s not a repeat MRI on the same spot. Anyway, so I’m just waiting for the clearance of the Insurance to authorize the MRI and then the clinic will find me a spot to squeeze into and get this picture so I can move on and heal.  Meanwhile it hurts and I just wait.  I'm sure I probably need something like a boot, or something and I have it wrapped, but wrapping it makes it throb from time to time.

Please pray it’s not super serious and that I get a call soon with that appointmentt to come in and get my MRI.  I need to get on with healing and get the ankle set right if it's broken so I can hurry and get my 6-8 weeks over with and back to running.


5 comments:

Michelle said...

finally received a call from Sports Medicine. My appointment is for 11:45a.m.

Mike and Adrianne said...

I hope they can fix your injury soon. I'm sorry for all the pain you and Jason have been suffering with lately.

Michelle said...

We are both quite the pair with crazy injuries. I just hope we are both back to running by January.

Unknown said...

How are you now, Michelle? It's been almost a week, I'm hoping that the swelling of your ankle was completely gone by now. But, did you try to apply for a personal injury claim after the injury? I think you should.

Amy Baron

Michelle said...

Personal injury claim from who?