Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Update on the Job

My last update left off on Thursday, August 25th.  So I was offered the job, but didn't know what to do and felt that I really needed some time to think and pray about this life changing decision.

Remember the offer for this job came while I was donating plasma.  I was excited that I was offered the job, but because I was strapped down to a half bed with a needle in the arm I couldn't show much excitement or jump up and down, so I contained myself and did a little happy dance in my head.  Plus doing a real dance isn't always a good thing since I did that once at home and broke a toe because of a twirl and a mini jump.  (Years ago folks, don't ask.)

I was told I had to take a drug test so that's the first thing I did after donating plasma.  I went into the temp agency who helped me find this job and I picked up the paperwork for the drug test.  What I found funny was that I was told this, "You can wait a couple days before taking your test if you want."   Maybe other people do this if they have stuff in their system that they need to get out, but remember my last paragraph?  I was just donating plasma and I obviously should be drug free if I'm giving my liquid insides to others and that's exactly what I am, so I just took the drug test immediately and got it over with.  I have nothing to hide on the inside.

It was a urine drug test and super gross to watch them take your yellow stuff and pour it into other containers and then compliment you on having the right temperature urine.  Then you sign a paper and the the tubes your urine is in basically saying or agreeing that this urine is indeed yours and only yours.

With that over with I still hadn't made the decision to take the job.  I had a lot of things to think about, and the biggest thing was the shift I was being offered.  Why would the shift matter?  Because I'm having a hard enough time with the idea of leaving all day, and didn't want to leave the children any longer than necessary.  I've been with the children since they were born almost every minute possible, except the times I did Pampered Chef parties or taught aerobics.  I've always seen them off to school and always been home for them when they returned home from school.

I didn't know the shift.   No one at the temp agency knew the shift either.  We were all waiting on the boss to make the decision on who gets what time slot.   Remember a couple posts ago, there were 4 shifts that people were being hired for and I, if taking the job, could only take an early shift because I want to be there for my children as much as possible and taking a full time job is hard enough.

Friday came and went and still no answer from the new job.  The boss was still deciding which teams to assign the new people to.  Monday arrived, then went away and I still didn't know anything about my starting or ending time.  What I did know was that my boss had said to the girls at the temp agency that she remembered me saying in my interview that I wanted to work as early as possible, so with that knowledge I didn't worry too much, because now I knew that they knew that I was only officially taking the job if I could start early.

Tuesday morning came and I decided that I would announce to my 8:30a.m. Zumba class that this would be my last Tuesday.  I waited till the end of class for the announcement.  I knew I'd tear up because teaching is so great and I love it.  I'm so glad I don't have to give that up completely because I'd be really sad then.  Sure enough I teared up and then lots of hugs came.  Most of them gathered around me and asked questions about the job and gave me "Congrats". 

I got in the car and my cell phone had a message that said, "Michelle, just wanted you to know that your new boss called and said that your shift will be 8a.m. to 4:30p.m."  That was exactly what I needed to hear and I was then glad I had told my Tuesday class that I wouldn't be there next week.

What is this new job? 

The job is RR Donnelley in Iowa City. It is a worldwide company that has been around almost 150 years that does printing of all sorts. My job is  to be a Customer Service representative that would help out after the Sales representatives have already gone out to other companies and sold them our products. I would follow up and see if those other companies like what they have received, then I would try and sell them more items. I will have some Administrative Assistant type work, Customer service work, and presentations and much more. I start next Tuesday, September 6th and it is a Temp to Hire job meaning, after my 520 hours (3 months of full time work) I am guaranteed a spot at their company with benefits as long as they still like me and I still like them. From what I have read on their company I am liking what I hear and I'm excited to see what this will bring. I do hope I'll love the job.  Their website is this   http://www.rrdonnelley.com/   if you want to know more.

8 comments:

SuzyQ01 said...

Fantastic! Congrats on the new gig :)

Nicole and Brent Prime said...

That is great. It is good to that you can try them out for a few months. I hope it is all that you want.

chelsey said...

Congratulations Michelle! I hope you love it. Your bosses will be sure to love you!

Dave and Tana said...

That is great and a really good shift! Congrats.

Linda said...

glad to know you have nothing to hide on the inside! Congratulations on the job

The Duke said...

Good luck!! I hope it works well for you and for your family. It might take a few bumps to get ironed out but once you get into a schedule, then it goes a lot more smoothly.

Jason said...

It's about time you admitted that you were doing a twirl and a jump when you broke that toe.

Janessa said...

I'm totally laughing about the happy dance gone bad. Too funny! Anyway, I'm super happy about the job! I hope it goes well and becomes permanent. Good luck!