Friday, August 12, 2011

A very different life with a new job

About a month ago I started looking for jobs.   Full time or part time, it didn't matter.  I just wanted something steady with decent hours so that we could make our financial ends meet better than they have in a while.  

August is hard on us every year financially with 3 birthdays (Alyssa's at the end of July, then Caleb and Brenden's birthday in August) then with school starting and all the school fees, school supplies and things you have to do for that.  Then for some reason our car and van registration both hit us September 1st and that comes to around $350 together (we need to get that changed), then our van decided to have major work done to it and that is over $500.  So all in all it's a super expensive month that doesn't want to let up and it seems worse this year.  So anyway we decided that by me having a better paying job that has more hours would be better than having 4 part time jobs that I only work at occasionally.

I tweaked my resume, filled out applications at a nearby bank for data entry, receptionist and teller jobs, then filled out applications for the University of Iowa for any jobs that would come open and then I went to Kelly Services (a job placement service).  I know two awesome ladies that work there at Kelly.  I've done multiple Pampered Chef parties for them over the years and I consider them both good friends.  A little over a week ago I filled out the Kelly Services application and took a typing test.    Would you believe that after all these years I got 70 W.P.M. with no errors on my typing test?  According to them that was great.  On Monday of this week Lennie (one of the ladies at Kelly Services) called me and offered me a Temp job at the University of Iowa.  It's a 4-5 week full time job.  After talking it over with Jason we decided that this was a doable thing and the income would be nice to help pay for the van and other August expenses.

So I started the job on Tuesday.  I have now worked full time for the last 4 days for the first time in my entire life and I'm completely exhausted.   On top of this I have also managed to donate plasma twice,  teach a few Zumba classes and run over 11 miles.  I'm not sure where my energy is coming from, but somehow I'm managing to still teach and work.  Meanwhile I've been to the store for some school shopping with Alyssa, been to the grocery store three times and other various errands.  I fall into bed each night with complete exhaustion and I sleep amazingly well, better than I have in weeks!

Do I like the job?  WELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL   kinda.  It's a Data entry job and that is boring, but I'm trying all kinds of ways to get super fast at it and making it fun.  One of my co-workers Peggy and I shared a laugh today, she is nice and I'm sure we will get along great.  Another co-worker (who's name escapes me) traded me fresh grown peppers in her garden for tomatoes from my garden.  Another co-worker and I talked about running.

My boss is nice, her name is Katie and she seems to like me and tells me I'm doing great.  So I'm going to believe that and hope I'm doing exactly what she wants and needs to be done.

I'm hoping that because I took this job that it will open doors for me to get another job at the University that is Part time with benefits and that the next job I find will be one I just love!

Until then I'll work my tail end off and deal with what I have for now.  I'm grateful I found a job, even though it's temporary.

5 comments:

The Duke said...

I started back at BYU 10 1/2 years ago with a part-time temporary job. I wanted to see how the family would handle me being gone, how Jim would be able to handle Ammon by himself for most of the day, etc. I'm glad I got that "test" before jumping in full-time. I worked at the job for 3 months and that gave me the chance to look around at other jobs on campus which opened the door to my current job. You are basically doing what I did and it's a good way to get your foot in the door. I hope it works out to your satisfaction.

Jess and Jen said...

I'm glad you found a job like this and that you're able to keep up with everything else. I'm exhausted just reading about it (okay, I am always exhausted reading your blog...zumba...running...)! I hope your hopes of finding a part time job that you love work out! -Jen

Dave and Tana said...

Working full time wears me out. I have to kick myself in the bum to go to the grocery store and do the typical household chores. I'm glad you have been able to adjust well and I feel like this well def open doors for other opportunities, or hey you may just find that you love it!

SuzyQ01 said...

Congrats on finding a job!

Papa Doc said...

You are great. So much entusiasm for life, and so much effort put in. You will be rewarded. In fact, you are already rewarded. Great family and of course, the Segal, too.

Thanks too, for helping Mom in St. Louis. Hope you had a good time.

Dad Clark