Friday, August 26, 2011

What's in store next?

This last couple of weeks have been crazy so I'm going to catch you up a bit.

Last week on Monday we were in St.Louis, Missouri for our little family trip to see Grandma Clark, then on Tuesday it was back to our normal life for a little while.

Ok, we don't have a normal life right now, our lives have been crazy because I started that new temp job.  The job I started was scheduled to be 4-5 weeks full time. I mainly took the job because my goal was to get a job at the University part time so I figured that taking a full time temp job at the University would be a great first step in the door there.

Let's go back to Tuesday, the 16th of August.  I went to work and worked a full day then that night taught Zumba at Curves, then ran errands with the children for last minute school supplies we might have forgotten since school was starting in just 2 days.  On Wednesday, the 17th I went to work and worked all day until 4:45p.m. I noticed on my silent cell phone sitting off to the side of me that a phone call was coming in.  I didn't take the call since I was at work, but had the distinct feeling to check the message before I left work at 5p.m.  So at around 4:55p.m. I checked the voicemail on my phone and the message said this: 

"Hi Michelle, this is __________ from temp agency and I'm calling to let you know that your boss called and said that she received an e-mail from her supervisor that said they no longer need to do the project you are working on so the job ends today.   Just call me tomorrow and we'll find you another job hopefully. "

I was in shock and a bit upset, but still finished up what I was working on and actually worked till 5:15p.m. (even though I only put 5p.m. on my time sheet since I was sure overtime wouldn't be a happy thing) so I didn't leave my folder unfinished.  At 5:15 I gathered up my pictures I had posted in my cubicle, grabbed my candy dishes I had set out with candy for my co-workers and left.  The bummer was that there was only one other person  there still at this time and he was the only person I actually got to say goodbye to and the only person that knew I wouldn't be coming back the next day.  I guess it's good that at least I got to tell someone.

So here I was jobless after only 6 days of work.  The thing that made me the most upset about all this was that I had completely changed my life around to take a full time position.  I subbed out all my morning Zumba classes for 4 weeks, I changed my Body Sculpt morning class to an EARLY morning class so I could still teach it and then I said goodbye to the little girl I've watched for 3 years and she started her day care full time instead of just the 3 days of week that she used to go there.  So I wake up on Thursday, August 18th with NOTHING to do.

It was the first day of school so I did get to do the first day of  picture taking of all my children and see them off to school, however I would have done that anyway.  Then the saddest thing happened, none of my children wanted me to come to school with them.  See in the past I've always gone to their schools (all except the high schoolers) and I've walked around with them and helped them settle in on their first day.  Even my littlest one, Scott who is 9, didn't want me to come to school.  He said, "Mom I'm big now"

So here I was, jobless, hopeless, sad, and now add LONELY.  All my children were at school.  My oldest son was at work and Jason, my husband, was at work as well.  I'm home with nothing to do and began to cry and feel sorry for myself.  I guess crying isn't bad when it only happens once in a while.  Then I picked myself "off the floor" and decided to call the temp agency and see if they had work for me.

They mentioned that they had a job that wants to hold interviews for an opening and they would be holding interviews in the next day so they would try and get me a scheduled interview and send over my resume.

Hours went by and I still didn't feel good.  I then went to McDonalds and emotionally ordered a large combo meal.  (I never do this).   I ate the entire meal, it must have been 1500 calories and then afterwards felt sick.  Then I felt guilty that I
1.  Hadn't worked out that day
2.  Just ate a day or more worth of calories and it was just 11a.m.

So I then watched some TV, cried more and decided that this pity party was not good for anyone.  I started the clean the house, it looked amazing.

Then at 1p.m. I decided to go on a long run.  I ended up running for an hour and a half.  I brought my cell phone with me in case someone needed me.  I really wanted to feel needed by this point.

During my run on the way home, so I was about 5 miles into the run or more, I got a phone call from the temp agency.  They were able to get me an interview at __________________!

I was excited for an interview.  It was scheduled for the next day at 9a.m.

So Friday, August 19th came and I made myself look fabulous for my interview, practiced how I'd answer questions, prayed and left.

The interview went awesome.  I didn't feel that I could have done any better. The questions they asked were just perfect, a couple threw me, but I was quick to give a great answer.

Then I left and came home and cleaned the house most of the day.

This week I decided I'd clean and organize my house to the point that if someone came to my home they could locate just about anything, and Goodwill would have a lot of new things to sell from me.

I was donating plasma yesterday when a call came in from the temp agency that said, "Michelle the company you interviewed for likes you and wants you to start working for them the day after Labor Day, do you want the job?"  "Also you will need a drug test, so please come by and pick up your papers to go do that."

Wow was I blown away.  I guess I assumed I did well on the interview, but deep down didn't have the confidence that I actually received the job and here I was trying to decide if I'd take it.  Only issue is now is that the temp agency couldn't tell me which shift I was hired for.

I understand that there are 4 different shifts  8-4:30, 8:30-5:30, 9-6 and 9:30 to 6:30

I had mentioned in my interview that I wanted the earliest shift available.  Then they had gone on to ask me if I'd work later than that ever and I said "If a project needed completed I could stay after once in a while to complete the job".

I do hope I received the earliest shift available.  If so I'm 99% sure I'll take the job.  I did go ahead yesterday and take that drug test so in case my answer is a yes then I'll be ready to start on September 6th.

However I'm sad that I wouldn't be able to teach my morning, Tuesday and Thursday Zumba classes anymore.  I would have to say goodbye this next week to some fabulous people that I will greatly miss.  I know I will regret not teaching them, so I'm torn on what to do. 

Pros to take the job
as a family we need the income
the job sounds fun, exciting and just what my skills are ready for
after 3 months I'd have some benifits (not sure what yet)
We can pay back our student loans faster and be out of that debt.
We could pay the house down quicker and own it!
We could have savings.

Cons to not take the job
I will miss my Zumba people
We won't be able to pay all our bills
I won't be home right when the children are, they will miss me for an hour after school.
I'll be more tired
The house may suffer in cleanliness (hope not)
I won't get a nap in the middle of the day
I'll have to leave in the morning before Scott gets on the bus.  :(

So there you have it.  I'm not sure what's in store next, but we will see very soon.



2 comments:

chelsey said...

Ohh.. That's a tough one. It's good that Scott is already in school all day, but tough not to be there when he leaves or comes home. I understand how hard that must be. The older kids are often busy doing after school things anyway, but it's still hard to simply not be there. On the other hand, maybe this job offer is an answer to your prayers. It's hard to know sometimes.

Will this job be a temp job again that will potentially end? If so, that could be a determining factor. Just remember to discuss it with your family and Father in Heaven. You'll know what to do. Love you, and will certainly add you to our prayers! Good luck in your decision!

Nicole and Brent Prime said...

You are amazing. That would be such a hard let down. But maybe by not being needed at the first job, it opened up the door for the second. It may be just what you were looking for.
Those cow costumes were so much fun to do. I think about them every now and then. I haven't done anything that amazing for Halloween since. I've done a lot of princess dresses.
I like long posts too. I don't have the time to scrapbook and I don't make the time to write in my journal so I feel like this is the best of both, combined into one, for others to enjoy as well (hopefully-if not they don't have to read). I've actually printed my blog a couple times into a book. They turn out good and then I have a hard copy if the world comes crashing down!
Good luck in your decision. You will know it is right if it is.