Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Suggestions to get it out?

Ok so this is one of the silliest things I've done and now I need help.

I took off the receiving air vent last Thursday in our living room, because for 2 years it has bothered me that someone put it on upside-down. So I took it off, cleaned it and then saw all the dust on the inside of the vent.

So I proceeded to put the hose up there to clean the dust out from the inside of the vent. Had I just had the hose, it would have been fine. However I put the duster attachment on the end of the hose and it must have got caught up on something inside the vent and the duster attachment fell off and I heard it drop all the way down the wall into nowhere.


I have no idea where it went. I am guessing somewhere at the bottom of the vent system in the basement perhaps. I don't know. It's gone. I tried holding the shop vac to the top of the ceiling so I had the longest hose and I turned it on, hoping it would suck up the other attachment, but no luck.

I tried a mirror and a flashlight and I don't see the other attachment. Not sure if I'll ever get it back. I'm bummed out because now something I have used often is gone and to get it back would mean tearing apart my vent system or wall or both. Maybe it's in the furnace, maybe it will start a fire. I don't know cause I have no clue where it would go. What would you do to find it?

Jason said it shouldn't case a fire since it is made of hard plastic, but I'm sure if it got hot enough there would be issues. And since it's a duster tool, it has a rounded end of boar hair (tough like bristles which are soft, but durable) at least I think they are boar hair, I don't know what the Kirby dusting attachment is made of, but it's gone. So I put the vent on the right way and moved on to more vacuuming somewhere else.

If you know anything about vents, furnaces or anyway to get things back when they fall down a vent into nowhere, your comments would be appreciated.

2 comments:

Papa Doc said...

This is bad when you try to do something good and something bad happens. Even taking the sheetrock off would not help since you would still have to take the vent apart, which would not be so easy. You better just buy a new attatchment. You mean that you still have a Kirby? Didn't Jason used to sell them?

Dad Clark

Michelle said...

Yes we still have that Kirby. Jason did sell those once. He didn't like that job, but we love our Kirby. It is now 13 years old and still working awesome. We've had to do a few minor things to it over the years, but overall it's awesome.