Monday, November 17, 2008

Still managing to smile

Another Monday. Caleb actually got to Seminary on time today. He is usually a bear to get out of bed in the morning and then drags his feet until about 6:25. Then he is all in a rush to get out the door because he is going to be late. This morning I actually only had to go downstairs once and he made it up to the shower before 6:00. He was in a good mood and didn't complain once. I almost made him give me a DNA sample to prove he was my normally grumpy teenage son. I guess that makes up for Brenden. A couple of days ago, he was late coming home. I couldn't find him and it was dark and very cold outside. Finally Dan said, "Oh, yeah, he went to the mall with Crystal and Alex." I about went ballistic. Crystal is 15 and Alex is 12. Dan further informed me that they had taken the bus (which means no adult supervision). I now flew to the moon. Brenden was lucky that he was not there. I hopped in the van to go find him at the mall when he comes strolling up the sidewalk. I told him to get in. We drove around the block while I yelled at him for doing something so stupid and moronic. His response was that he didn't ask because he knew we would say no. Darn straight I would have said no. An 11 year old boy at the mall without adult supervision? Holy crap! What was he thinking? I was so mad that I could hardly look at him. He wasn't even the least bit sorry. As such, he has been grounded from life for one month - no friends, no computer, no going outside. He has got to learn that there are rules for a reason and that he is not above them. This whole parenting thing would be easier if there was a good owner's manual. I know, I know, these things will be for my good and experience but it doesn't make them any easier.

3 comments:

chelsey said...

Yeah, I would've freaked out too. I can see Sarah doing that without question. She got herself grounded for the week too because she decided to hang out at the neighbor's house without an adult. Apparently the parents left their 2 kids with a 10 yr old babysitter and didn't bother to send mine home. They didn't care if she stayed there I guess. Thing is, Sarah KNOWS she's not allowed over there when there's a babysitter, just like her friends aren't over here when we have a sitter. Geoff went to get her and she decided to scream at him when he told her she was going to be in trouble for not coming home. I don't understand why the neighbor's wouldn't send her home in the first place?! Too bad kids aren't born with common sense huh. And yes, I'd buy a good owners manual if there was one!

Team Clark said...

Oh no! That little stinker.
But good job to Caleb for having a good morning!

Ammon said...

Lately I've been heard saying, "I love being a parent, but I am really tired of parenting." Does that make any sense? It doesn't get any easier until they move out and are "responsibly" on their own.
I'm surprised that Brenden would do such a thing. I hope he realizes the possible dangers that could pose.
Good luck.......:)
Mom