Tuesday, November 4, 2008

A smile on my face

We are being blessed with extraordinarily nice weather right now. I am wearing a pair of shorts and a hawaiian shirt to work today. Not bad for November in Iowa. Yesterday was also very nice. I went for a little walk yesterday during lunch and as I walked across the river, I couldn't help but close my eyes, lift my face to the sun, and just bask in the warm breeze coming upriver. The river is quite low and the breeze carried the slight smell of decay that I always associate with low tide. I immediately thought of the Bay area and all the good memories I have of the San Francisco area. What a perfect day! The only reminder I have that it will soon become cold is the leaf pile in my front yard. My maple tree is almost completely nude but my oak tree is being very stubborn. It will hold on to some of its leaves until spring and then, the only reason it will give those up is because there will be new leaves to take their place.

My hiatus from teaching is over. I taught at one of my new gyms (North Dodge Athletic Club) on Saturday and am starting my regular teaching schedule there this week. Our new gym, Performance Health and Fitness, opens on November 15. Once Performance opens, I will be back to teaching 5 times a week. Teaching these fitness classes is truly one of the great joys of my life. I love it. As much as I miss my classes at Core, I am sure that I will forge new relationships that will hopefully be as fulfilling. One of the questions I ask myself is whether or not I am making a difference. I put a lot of work into my classes to ensure that I am presenting the best possible class and there are times, at the end of a long week, that I ask myself if it is worth it. I hope so. I hope that I have been a postive influence on someone. If not, at least I am having fun and staying in shape.

1 comment:

Team Clark said...

It's great that you and Michelle teach fitness classes. And I'm sure that you'll build great friendships super quick at your new gyms.
And I'm also sure that you'll make a difference in a lot of people's lives!