Monday, August 4, 2008

Mindless blather

After the brutal winter we had, I swore I wouldn't complain about the heat of summer. I lied. When I went downstairs this morning at 4:45 to get ready to go teach, I noticed that I could barely see out my windows. After looking at them dumbly for a moment or two I realized that they were fogged over. Since my thermometer is set at 75 degrees, that meant that the dew point was over 75 degrees. That never bodes well. Sure enough, when I stepped outside, the humidity was oppressive. I know that those of you out West have been getting hammered with hot weather and that Adrianne and Mike are essentially in a pressure cooker so you will know how miserable this weather really is. At least we are not burning like you guys out West.

Flood clean up efforts are ongoing but slow. Many people have just given up. The same is true with some businesses. We lost our Aldi supermarket to the flood and our bank. I don't know if Aldi will come back but the bank is already rebuilding. There are some businesses that I hope will remain closed such as the Peking Buffet. It is a psuedo-chinese grease pit. Both Michelle and I got a little ill the last time we ate there. Even if it does come back, we are not going there again.

5 comments:

chelsey said...

Did you have a giant influx of mosquitos after the flooding? It seems that the extra humidity out here means more mosquitos. I can hardly step outside after 8pm without getting eaten alive! Even bug spray doesn't help a whole lot. I wonder if we have chiggers too... Good luck with the heat. Today supposed to be pretty hot here too. It was great yesterday, not too great today or the rest of the week. Yuck.

Mike and Adrianne said...

It's been between 100-106 most of the last two weeks or more. We also have a lot of humidity but not as much as normal because we are in a drought. I feel your pain!

Jess and Jen said...

No humidity here... July 2007 was the hottest July on record in Salt Lake City. July 2008 was the 5th hottest July on record. We've been warm, and we went 41 days without rain in June and July. But this is manageable. My swamp cooler is working fine and the house stays 78-80 degrees.

Jason said...

We've had our share of mosquitos but not as many as I thought we would. I am actually quite surprised. However, I tend to stay away from the creek/river/lake etc... during the evening because I know I will get eaten alive. By the way, the best mosquito repellent I have found is pure vanilla (not vanilla extract). It smells better than Off also.

Carmell said...

We don't miss the humidity there, or the Peking Buffet - we were dumb enough to try eating there twice thinking that the first time we got sick from the food was a fluke (we all felt yucky after the second time too so we never returned!). Hope you can survive the heat. Before you know it you'll have the good old Iowa winter back and be up to your knees in snow again!!