Friday, August 15, 2008

Hardest time of the year

I'm up late because of the Olympics. They are awesome. So many extraordinary athletes. All that aside it's been a hard week and month. Every year school starts again in August and as much as I look forward to that, it's sad as well. When all the children go to school it's so quiet in the house and while that is wonderful, it's lonely as well. Caleb is now a sophmore in High School. Wow, can't believe that, in just two years I'll have a high school graduate and all that goes with that. I just don't know where the time went. Today being his birthday I had some time to reflect on his birth and those years have just flown by.

Daniel will be at the top of his school as an 8th grader in middle school. He is excited and asks every day to get all his supplies together. Daniel has actually enjoyed supply shopping. Too funny. Jared is starting 7th grade at the same middle school and seems confident, but at the same time scared out of his mind. I hope he does well.

Brenden will be in 6th grade and at the top of his school for Roosevelt Elementary. I went to the ice cream social today with the children, and that was so fun for all the children that attended. Alyssa is eager to start school in 4th grade and Scott will be in 1st grade. I am so pleased that Scott got the teacher he did. Her name is Mary and she is actually our neighbor 4 doors down. I've heard wonderful things about her. I signed up to be a room parent for Scott and I'm excited for this. I was a room parent for Alyssa's class last year and did an okay job, but hope to do much better this coming year for Scott's classroom.

Their excitement is beaming. Tomorrow we plan to swim one last time if the weather is good. They all want to go to the pool again.

Why is this the hardest time of the year? I think it's just got to be all the stress of getting all the supplies, all the registrations, all the money needed for fees (over $300 is what the schools want) and that was without yearbooks. I choose to do yearbooks later on when most get them at registration I decided not to. I will send money in another month. Then top this with my business still struggling since the flood. It's not doing well at all. And our leak in the ceiling and this and that. August is always hard. Just trying to get through it. Then of coarse everyone seems to need shoes and clothing.

Caleb must have grown 2 inches this summer in height and feet. He went from a size 12 band shoe to a size 14. Wow, that's big feet I think. I don't think Caleb has any clothing that fits except for a couple pair of shorts and shirts. Then there's the other 5 children that all want an outfit for school. How do people do it I wonder? I hear some take their children school shopping and buy many outfits for each child. I will be lucky to get them each one item at Stuff (a nice consignment store). I love that store and when you get a chance to visit you must visit this place. It has the best used stuff ever. Caleb has worn some really nice clothing over the last year and you'd never know it's used and who really cares about used stuff as long as it fits and looks nice. I feel blessed to have that store. All the children also need haircuts. Caleb received his haircut today and Jared on Monday, but that leaves 3 more boys and I know Alyssa really wants one as well, but she may have to wait for a month or so. Just trying to balance out all these fees and extras that come with August. So stressed right now and I think I just wrote a book.



6 comments:

Mike and Adrianne said...

I'm sorry you are so stressed right now. I have been super stressed lately and some days I think I am going crazy. It is just hard sometimes. I have been trying to find things to help me be less stressed. It is just going to take some time. Anyway, I'm sorry you are stressed and hopefully as school starts things will calm down a little for you all.

Michelle said...

Thank you for your kind words Adrianne. I hope that with the children's new schedules and being Fall that things will get better. Today has been great so far. I'm trying to slow down things and just write down everything that needs done in hopes I don't forget anything. I took the last 4 children for haircuts today, so that is checked off the list and that was huge. Now all the Clarks look so nice. Next is to get all the school supplies out of my office and divide them to all their backpacks. Daniel claims he needs a new backpack. He seems to squeeze one out of me every year and this year I'm determined to have him use last year's backpack. We will see. Still much to do on the list, but at least the leak in the ceiling is fixed and it's drying out. I hope you are doing well. I sure wish we lived closer so we could help each other out. I would love to have your boys over.

Anonymous said...

Trying this out, did my comment work?

Papa Doc said...

I am happy to see that Caleb has decided to become a poet. (You know, Longfellow.) It is an old joke. So how tall is the giant. With size fourteen feet, he better get something above to carry around!

Dad Clark

Jason said...

I think the turkey just broke 6' tall. I can still take him though.

Papa Doc said...

Caleb is 6' tall?!?!? Are you kidding? Keep up those arm wrestlings, Jason. (Remember, if you can wing the arm wrestling, you can still spank them .. :) )
Kids, good luck in school this year. I hope you have a great time and enjoy all your friends.
Michelle, we always struggled with the clothing issue, too. By the time the kids got too good to wear what we could afford (and I thought reasonable), then it became their job to buy their own clothing. Kaitlin went shopping on her own for the very first time this year. She bought all her own clothes. What a relief! Finally!
I wish you were here - Gillian could cut all your kids' hair for you. It's really cheap to go to her school and she does a great job.
I don't think there's any easy way to get through the start of school.
Mom C.