Monday, August 25, 2008

Another day in Iowa - without rain

As I sit here waiting for a polyacrylamide gel to finish running, I thought I would take a moment a write something. It is a gorgeous day. When I got up to teach at Core this morning, I was actually a little cold. For August, it is unbelievably nice. Perhaps this is a little payment for the lousy weather we had for the first 6 months of this year.

I have been watching two big digger things (as Michelle would call them) demolish a building just to the north of me. It has been interesting. Unfortunately, I keep missing all the cool things. Every time I turn around, they have knocked down a wall or collapsed a huge section of concrete slab. The shovel operators are really good. They will rip out a steel I-beam and then use the I-beam as a battering ram to knock over concrete pillars. We have been discussing how cool it would be to run one of those thing - at least for a few minutes. I think everyone with a Y chromosome secretely wants to drive and operate large machinary. Earthmovers, cranes, bulldozers, you name it. The bigger and more powerful the better. Does that mean that the dump truck drivers at Kennecot are the epitome of manliness? Well, I hope not.

Michelle bought me a new shirt the other day - without me. She bought it because she thought it would look good on me - and because it is in fashion. I somewhat reluctantly put it on today (mostly just to make her happy). I feel like I should also have on a pair of flip flops, have hair over my eyes, a bottle of beer in one hand and a cornhole bag in the other. It is actually a nice shirt and at least it fits.

Dan gets braces tomorrow. Once again, I am signing my life and all paychecks for the next two years away just so my dear children can have straight teeth. I guess I shouldn't complain, maybe someday they will be buying me false teeth.

4 comments:

Papa Doc said...

Ok, so let's see a picture of the shirt. I can't imagine in my mind what it must look like if you need flip flops, a can of beer, etc., etc. It must be a colorful, Hawaiian type of shirt??
Sorry I haven't posted anything on anyone's blogs lately - too difficult to get on the computer at the hospital. I'll have more access on Friday from now on.
Hope Dan appreciates the braces -- it is a big investment, but it should give him more confidence in his looks. I wish we had been able to help Chelsey & Adam sooner than they were able to get theirs.
The pictures of all the kids are great. I love to get them so keep posting and sending them to me.
Mom

Jason said...

I actually love Hawaiian shirts. I own 3 or 4 of them. This one is much more of a college student, dude-I'm-cool kind of shirt. It feels like it is made of hemp or something.

The orthodontist ended up just banding his teeth yesterday. He goes in for the whole shebang on Michelle's birthday. We found out that he will have to have them for two years, then have oral surgery to correct a major over bite, and then have braces again for up to another year. I am going to need a serious raise.

chelsey said...

Jake calls all big trucks dumpers. Between he and Michelle, they're all covered!

Papa Doc said...

Well, Jason, I do not get to operate one of those big things, but my next door neighbor operates a dump truck at Kenecott and we are friends. Remember that I operated tractors and stuff like that all my life, and feel real manly.

I thought hemp was only used for smoking. I quess at Iowa the students even make shirts out of it!

Dad Clark