Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Ceiling falling in Literally

It all started with a brown spot in the kitchen ceiling.

then two brown lines, then bubbled out plaster, then it felt wet.

Today the bubbles are large, the brown is bigger and it looks like the ceiling will fall at any moment.

Why haven't we rushed to call someone? Because many reasons . . .

Jason doesn't do plumbing
We don't know a good plumber and not sure who to trust
It's not coming from the toilet or shower
In fact we don't know where it's coming from. Looks like a pipe.

So today I have called around to some good friends and asked who is a good plumber, who can they trust. People that have lived in this area for years and years.

I finally have a name of a plumber, and will call.

I would take pictures and send, but our camera is so old (was one of the first digital cameras) that it won't sync with my computer (that is new). We used to put our pictures on our old computer. That computer crashed last week, so we won't be able to send pictures for a while, or until either

1. That computer downstairs gets fixed
or 2. I get a newer model of digital camera.

I e-mailed Cannon, the maker of my current digital camera and they said that my camera is too old and doesn't have software to be compatible with my updated computer. Bummer.

I'm off to call the plumber, wish us luck. I hope this isn't too major. We have enough stress right now.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

The plumber came today. Our upstairs toliet above our kitchen is the one that apparently was leaking and not just recent leaking, it had been leaking for at least a year or so. He said it looked like it was leaking ever since it was replaced and that was a month before we moved in to this home. Wow, that's a long time to have a leak in the ceiling. We have to rip out a huge portion of the ceiling, let it completely dry out for 3-4 weeks (or so the plumber suggested) spray the boards with some special "get rid of mold stuff" you can't just use bleach, apparently that spreads mold spores and then the process of replacing the ceiling. Fun for us!
I hope the plumber bill isn't too high, I'm worried about that. I really dislike home repairs. I wish my Dad had been here cause he could have fixed this for us, he's great at home repairs.

Papa Doc said...

You are actually lucky. We went to church in Spanish Fork once, and when we came home a pressurized pipe had burst in a wall and through the wall it was flowing. We had water everywhere, and not a dime to fix it. I did the job, but at great effort and time. So a leak that only showed up after a year or so was actually lucky.

Sorry about the damage to the ceiling. Good luck.

Dad Clark