Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Where has the time gone?

As I was driving home from teaching early morning 5:20a.m. Body Pump today I saw a great number of moving trucks around. This is the time (July 31st) every year that all the contracts end for housing. All landlords end their leases at the end of July and hundreds of people are moving in and out of Iowa City. It is a time when it would be nearly impossible to rent such a moving truck if you needed one.

It got me thinking 8 years have gone by and we were doing just that, moving here to Iowa City. 8 whole years ago. When I was just 27 and Jason 29, we were kids then with 5 children of our own. Jason had decided to do more schooling so we moved here to get just that, more education at the Universityof Iowa. I thought then, "luckily just 5 years we will be out of here!" That didn't happen as most of you know. Jason found a job he absolutely loves working as a Research Scientist for Dr. Marlan Hansen. We are stuck here for a while I guess, until he gets his next dream job in Pocatello, Idaho and we move there to retire. I just can't believe it's been 8 years in this state. What has happened in that time?

Let me take you back. We moved here the beginning of August of 2000 into a small (very small) basement duplex type deal. It seemed like the entire Iowa City congregation from our church showed up to help us move. Thank goodness since my Mom had just been traveling with Jason and I across the country to move here, and my Dad had just traveled several states to meet us. Both of my parents were so tired, but pitched in to help. They moved us in. Much to our surprise, the foundation of this basement duplex on Dodge St. was not doing well, the foundation was leaking. The walls were wet. I noticed this on Day 2 when unpacking stuff to go into the closet, I touched the wall and said, "This is wet and the carpet is too!" The landlord, knowingly had a major foundation problem but carpeted and painted over the problem. We should have known something was up when the landlord said, "Oh just get settled in, then you can hook up the utilities."

So on Day 3 we moved to a new house. a 900 square foot house, no basement, but a huge backyard and a garage, both of which we never had. And to my surprise a dishwasher and garbage disposal, both things I wanted in the kitchen. Once again most of the Iowa City ward came over to help us move again. My parents were still there to help thank goodness.

So we moved to Hollywood Blvd. This was in South East Iowa City.

Almost 1 year later we were sick of renting and bought our first home on Esther St. What a joy!

Then 5 years later we bought the home we are in now on Cae Dr. on the South West side of Iowa City, so a total of 4 moves. Wow what a pain. Moving has got to be top of my list for most unfavorite things to do.

It's been an amazing 8 years full of 4 moves, a new baby, as we call him (our little Iowa Hawkeye) Scooter or his real name Scott Thomas Clark. All last names to signify the last child no matter what. 5 children getting baptized, 3 receiving the Priesthood, 1 starting high school, 2 going into middle school. And many visits from family and friends. Thanks to all who have made the trek here to Iowa to visit. I know, not a fun place to visit or in the top 10 of places to vacation to, but none the less so many of you have taken time to be here (some several times)and it's been much appreciated. (Especially those who are deathly afraid of flying and still did it) Thanks!

In these 8 years Jason and I have had a lot go on. We have traveled to many wonderful places, courtesy of the Pampered Chef (Cancun, Hawaii, Disney World, Alaska, Carribean and our last trip London) I have completed over 700 Pampered Chef shows since moving here and have met tons of great people, some I never would have met had it not been for my PC job.

Jason has lost over 40 pounds and me around 80 pounds. Jason has completed 2 mini triatholons and I have ran my first 5K. We both became fitness instructors and now both teach 3 different types of classes at the local club called Core fitness.

Caleb has learned how to fly a plane and play percussion. Daniel has learned how to play football, ride a wave board and out run me. Jared has learned how to play trumpet and read more books than we have in the house (literally hundreds of books). Brenden has learned how to play Baritone and draw extrodinary pictures of aliens, and make tons of friends. Alyssa has learned how to dance, read and write well. Lastly Scott has learned how to make friends with anyone, fire safety and definately how to eat more pancakes then anyone else in the house. Scott has the best appetite and will out eat anyone. Pretty good for someone who is only 6.

We have survived many violent storms that had heavy rains, hail and damaging winds, snow in excess of 14 inches all at once, a tornado, microwave fire (that thank goodness didn't burn the entire house down)(courtesy of Scott) and a major Flood.

We are blessed to have met all the wonderful friends, so many that I can't begin to name them all, but you are all so special to us.

Have a great day in the wonderful state you live, we will have fun in Iowa and probably write about it tomorrow!!

2 comments:

Carmell said...

I'm glad we got to know your family during our short stay in Iowa!

Papa Doc said...

What a wonderful account you have given. Your kids do so many good things. I did not know Brandon played the Baritone. How cool. And I suppose Jared on the Trumpet is like Chris Botti. I would love to hear him play.

The percussion thing is unforgettable. Jason played drums on the table every meal until I thought Mom was going to go crazy.

You guys have been so many places. I have seen lots of states, but only in moving. Moveing is a hassel, but just think of all the garbage you get to throw away each time you move.

I sure wish I could come out to visit. I am always so broke. We make precious little money, and go without so much. The most significant thing we miss is seeing you guys, and now so many others, too.

Iowa is a great place, and I hope you will keep enjoying the blessings of the Lord there around so many good people.

Dad Clark