Monday, July 7, 2008

Completely Mortified

I'm sure it doesn't help that I couldn't fall asleep last night, but then I woke up at 5:15a.m. so I maybe got 4 hours sleep.


Woke up did many things around the house: made breakfast (fresh homemade waffles) made dinner, did the dishes, cleaned the entire kitchen, did a load of laundry, got the garbage out to the street, emptied cat litter, and practiced for my aerobics class today. I felt extremely accomplished especially since it wasn't even 7a.m. yet.

Daniel's appointment this morning was at 8a.m. I was excited to get Daniel braces he so desperately needed, not just for looks, he needs them for several reasons, very medically necessary.


Took BEFORE pictures of Daniel, pumped him up, explained everything he would have done, and headed to the orthodontist at 7:45 a.m.


We step inside and they call him right back. Before they got started I asked the front desk lady how much she would want today as payment. I was surprised I didn't know this yet, but figured Jason had discussed this with them, but when I mentioned it to him last night he said he had no idea how much this would all cost. They never discussed it with us. I know they should have, but don't remember the conversation.


She then went on to say that they needed $650 up front. They only take Visa Mastercard, Checks or cash.
$650 yeah right. I don't have that. I was completely shocked. I even said, "Are you serious? Can I do something in payments less than that over time?" She said No. It would be $650 today just to do the work and if we didn't have that we didn't get it done.

I'm sorry, but who has that? That is not pocket change. Then she began to figure up the rest, it would be $178.50 a month for 18 months.

I said, "I can't do that, no way, this wouldn't work at all, I just don't have it." "I don't remember ever going over this financial information with anyone." I wouldn't have made the appointment today, I wouldn't have put myself through that embarrasment at the counter in front of my son.


I asked her if their office took a thing called "Care Credit" http://www.carecredit.com/

Basically what that is, it's like a credit card, it's offered at Dental offices and other places like oral surgery and stuff like that, my own dentist takes it, but you pay 0% interest as long as you pay the amount of the monthly payment, which is kinda high and probably would have been around $150 or more a month, but it is stretched out over time and it's 0% interest till it's paid off unless you miss a payment. Where as if I put this all on a credit card I would have enormous interest.
She said they didn't accept Care Credit that their office wasn't set up for it. I said, then I can't do this for my son, I'm sorry. I had no idea it was $650 up front.

She looked shocked. I was so embarrased. I looked at Daniel who said to me, "Does this mean I don't get braces today?"

I said, not unless I can work something out. the front desk woman said, "There's nothing to work out, sorry, everyone else in town will charge the same or more up front. that's how it is."

Daniel looked at me and seemed okay with it and said, "It's okay Mom I didn't want them anyway."

The girl with him started to try and talk him into the braces saying how much he needed them and how much better he will look and so on. Making me feel worse about what I was about to say.


I told Daniel we were going to the van and Daniel left first. I apologized to the front desk woman and the other lady and left.

I went to the van and cried.

3 comments:

Michelle said...

Just to clarify, so you know I'm not completely stupid or wasn't listening. The braces were $4800 and I knew that.

And the insurance covers like almost $960 of it (just 20% but at least something)

then I guess you have to put $650.00 down and then pay the $178.50 a month after that.

That part was never discussed.

I do remember them saying if I paid for it all up front I'd get a 5% discount. And if it was in cash I'd get a 7% discount.

But I really thought, now I know I was wrong, but I was sure I had heard the doctor say it is all done in payments, then entire thing, so to be told today that I owed them $650 to begin, I was like, Yeah right.

chelsey said...

Oh, Michelle. I'm so sorry that happened! I know my parents always wanted to get me braces when I was young and I'm sure they understand exactly what you are feeling. Braces are ridiculously expensive so Brent and I had to wait until we had so-called decent dental insurance before I could afford them myself. They still cost way too much! Good luck getting it worked out. My dentist charged me $350 up front and payments the rest of the way. Also, they won't take them off unless they're paid in full -- even if they're ready to come off!

Papa Doc said...

And everybody wonders why I won't go to a dentist -- I've had similar experiences with a woman called Abby -- she made me feel absolutely small, stupid and worthless because I couldn't afford to have them use the white fillings instead of the silver ones a long time ago. She wouldn't let us set up payments, either. It's been a sore spot with me ever since then. If she is not in the office, then I can stand to go there, but because of how she made me feel about how I was or was not taking care of my children really ruined my desire to work with her or go there. Stupid, I guess, but that's what happened. So I only go about once every 5 years and only under duress. Jim takes the kids and puts up with Abby just fine.
I'm sorry that Daniel didn't get his braces. Gillian finally got hers off - my insurance paid for 50% of it and she paid for all the rest on her own. I'm really proud of her for doing that but I didn't have the money to pay out of my pocket. At least we finally have insurance that will let us help our kids a little.
Mom C.