Thursday, March 25, 2010

Obama's in the house

Obama is in Iowa today. More specifically, he is in Iowa City to deliver a talk on healthcare. I was at his talk when he unvailed his healthcare plan while he was on the campaign trail. I guess he sees this as coming full circle. Not many people here are very fond of the way this bill was crammed through congress nor are we fond of the bill itself. This was a very short sighted attempt to build some sort of legacy. The more I learn about the bill, the angrier I become. I will not be attending the talk today. Primarily because I didn't put my name in the pot for the ticket lottery but secondarily because I really want to keep my blood pressure under control.

It has been interesting watching the logistics come together. The Secret Service has been in town for the past few days. They have been up in the air in their helicopters and driving around in their black SUV's. Since the President is speaking over on our side of the river again, traffic around the hospital has already gotten worse than usual and will continue to get even worse as the morning wears on. I feel badly for the patients who are going to have to park even further away from the hospital because one of the parking garages has been set off limits due to safety concerns for the President.

I will probably wonder down towards the building the President is speaking in later to take a few pictures of the protesters and the like.

1 comment:

The Duke said...

We need the rest of the story now - did you take some photos? How was he received in your town? Was it as euphoric as it was when he was campaigning? Were there angry demonstrators? Do you think they hand-picked those in the audience? I'm curious. Glad he's not in our town.