Monday, January 4, 2010

Home is where ever I sleep.

I am not sure how I was hoping this would all turn out. Back in November, my boss got a job offer from the University of Utah. He asked me if I would go with him if he accepted the position. I said yes. There were a lot of details to iron out. We, as a lab, have a pretty good thing going here. Utah was going to give Marlan a huge pay raise (about 500%) but the support for research in the Department of Surgery is nominal. They don't have one federally funded researcher. As such, and after much fasting and prayer, Marlan decided to stay here in Iowa. As I said, I am not sure how I wanted this to turn out. Part of me really wanted to move back West. I miss the mountains, I miss the weather, I miss a lot of things. It would have been nice to be nearer to my family (although almost half of us live in the Midwest or the East) and it would have been nice to be closer to our friends in Pocatello. On the flip side, I really didn't want to make Caleb move at the beginning of his Senior year in High School. Also, we have met a lot of really good people here in Iowa and I have grown to love this area. Although there isn't a trout stream within spitting distance or a mountain trail to go hiking on, Iowa is really just one big bike trail with paved country roads all over the place. The crime rate is low and the schools are good. I just wish the taxes were a little lower. I know Michelle really wanted to go and I feel badly that her hopes were dashed.

Who knows what the future will bring but for now at least I know it will happen in Iowa.

4 comments:

The Duke said...

I'm soooo disappointed! I was trying very hard not to get my hopes up, but they were still up there.
I'm glad you have a job, however, and that you like where you are. I feel very sad right now though.

chelsey said...

Well, I for one think it stinks! I totally understand though. I'm glad you've got a good boss that prays about these kinds of things and isn't swayed by just the money aspect of things. I'm sad you won't get to live out there though. Maybe eventually you will. Now isn't the right time apparently. We'll be around still, so maybe we can still get together!

Mike and Adrianne said...

I'm also sad. I was really hoping for you all to be able to move to the West. The Midwest is a nice place to live though. That really stinks.

Jess and Jen said...

I was hoping to get another sibling back in the Salt Lake Valley. I need close, experienced help with my home projects!