Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Birds get a bad rap. I know that they tend to irritate me at 4 am when I have left my bedroom window open. Do you know how loud a Cardinal, a Grackle, and a Robin can be right outside your window? The only thing more irritating is the stupid rabbits that have been eating my roses, crocuses, and tulips. I am seriously considering buying a pellet gun. Anyway, back to birds. Their rap is somewhat deserved. They aren't too bright sometimes (bird brains). We had a sparrow fly though the open door of our biology class in high school. Realizing it was inside, it turned around and repeatedly flew into the large, picture window right next to the open door until it killed itself. They are also devious. We have some pigeons that live on top of my building. The other day, I was talking to a friend of mine. I was facing the huge, plate glass windows that are all along one side of the building (they would be jumping windows if you could open them), when I noticed a pigeon hightailing it directly toward me. At the last minute, he pulled up and emptied his bowels all over the window. I am sure he landed and rolled with laughter at the sight of me reflexively ducking. He had good aim. If there hadn't been a window there, my co-worker's back and head would have been riddled with pigeon pooh.

On the other hand, I think birds are a bit smarter than we think. They are the only adult animal other than primates that I have ever seen play. A number of years ago, I watched an adult Bald Eagle fly slowly to edge of a bluff and suddenly catch an updraft that sent him straight up about 20 feet. He wheeled over and did it again and again. It was facinating to watch. What a rush that must have been.

There really is no point to this post. I am just killing a few spare minutes.

2 comments:

The Duke said...

That's such a funny story about the pigeon! I'm laughing out loud. I'm sure your dad will do the same when he reads it.
The other day we watched a hawk catch drafts and float up and down and all over for about five full minutes, never seeing him flap his wings. I kept wishing I could do that. I love to watch big birds like that.
I woke up to the song a some kind of bird yesterday afternoon. I don't remember ever hearing it's song because it was very unique. I'm sure you could have told me what it was had you been here. I love the sound of birds - it means it's decent weather outside and that puts me in a good mood to begin the day.
Mom

Jess and Jen said...

Enjoyed the imagery in that post. We have similar problems with birds in the morning. It's nice to hear birds and all, but when it's before you "want" to wake up and your window is open, it gets annoying. I hear you there. -Jess