Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Paying it forward

At Aldi's grocery store, you have to pay a quarter to get a cart because they are locked up.  Then at the end of your grocery shopping experience you plug your cart back in and get your quarter back.

About 2 years ago a lady just handed me her cart and didn't want my quarter, then she said, "Please pass on your cart to someone for free someday."  I thought it would be fun to always pass it on.  So ever since then I make a point to always pass on my cart and never get my quarter back.  It's a little thing, but something little I can do at this time in our lives.   While shopping there on Saturday when I handed my cart off to someone they said, "I love this, paying it forward. I will be sure to pass my cart on as well and not get the quarter back."

I tell this story because on Saturday afternoon when we opened our mail there was a check and a note from our chiropractor that said, "Your bill was taken care of so we are sending your check back."  I called them on Monday when they were open and asked them about it and they said that someone paid our bill.

So nice of someone to randomly do this.  This act of kindness means a lot and I will continue to do random acts of kindness for others.

Sometimes I pay someone's parking behind me when I'm at the hospital, or someone's toll fee behind me when I'm driving to Chicago.  Or when I'm in a fast food drive thru line I've paid for the person behind me.  This is fun and I hope to do it a bunch more in my life.  My ultimate goal is to someday leave a family $1000 at Christmas without them knowing who I am.  This will be so fun.

If everyone would do one thing nice for another person this world would be a much better place.  So big or small, I challenge you to do the same.






1 comment:

The Duke said...

I love this post and the idea behind it. Even simple acts like paying the quarter for someone else lifts spirits and makes others think about that act of kindness.
I'd love to give a family money at Christmas as well. More than anything.