Sunday, February 16, 2014

Forgiveness

All of us need to forgive at one time or another.  None of us are perfect.  All of us have stuff to work on.  Why is forgiveness so hard then?  

Here are a few quotes I think are good about forgiveness:

The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong.

Forgiveness is the final form of love.

“Sometimes we can take offense so easily. On other occasions we are too stubborn to accept a sincere apology. Who will subordinate ego, pride, and hurt—then step forward with ‘I am truly sorry! Let’s be as we once were: friends. Let’s not pass to future generations the grievances, the anger of our time’? Let’s remove any hidden wedges that can do nothing but destroy.” 
( “The Peril of Hidden Wedges,” Ensign, July 2007, 8.




It is easier to forgive an enemy than to forgive a friend.


The ability to forgive is one of man's greatest achievements.


Is there someone you have hurt out there by unkind words, deeds or acts?  Have you even tried to apologize or repair the relationship or do you hold on to past instances and memories or how they supposedly hurt you?  Maybe they did hurt you, maybe they said something they shouldn't have.  Did you ever talk to them about it?  Did you ever try to make things better?  Do they even know they hurt you?  Do they even know what you are mad about?  If you are mad at someone, how does that make you feel?  Do you honestly feel better inside with being mad at someone?   Last year I personally needed to forgive someone.  It was hard, but finally forgiving and letting the past go was the best I could do.  I apologized by by e-mail and then by a personal letter.  I meant my apology with everything in me.  The greatest thing was, after I apologized I felt amazingly better.  A weight was lifted off of me and I was happier.

It seems like all the time we either ourselves hurt someone, or we are hurt by others.  We can all do a better job to be better people.  You will feel better when you truly forgive.  Your heart can heal.


No comments: