Saturday, February 22, 2014

Free mini get-a-way with a race!

Back in October at a Halloween race, Jason wore his pink tutu costume and won first place, so we received a 1 night hotel stay at the Hilton downtown in Cedar Rapids.

We decided that we would use this then next time we had a Cedar Rapids race.  This weekend was perfect.  The race wasn't until 11 a.m. which would give us time to sleep in and still get to race early enough to warm up and stretch before racing.

Here we are post race.  Feeling great.

I ran 3.12 miles before the race to warm up.  I needed to do 6 miles for my long run today for my marathon training, so I figured I should just warm up and do the rest of the mileage before the race so when I crossed the finish line I would be done for the day with running!  The thing that is great about this is usually I do a 5K in practice in about 35-38 minutes.  So for warming up I did it in 33:47 then the race was done in 28:40.  Not bad!  And the best thing is, 28:40 is a 5K PR for me (post ankle injury).  Up until this point I haven't run a 5K under 30 minutes in a race after being injured.

Here is a snipit of the results.  Jason came in ahead of me at 28:15 for a chip time and I was at 28:40.  Here is what doesn't make sense at all:   Jason's Gun time was 28:25 and mine was 28:48.  That can't be right since we started the race at the exact same time, so our gun times should be at 10 seconds slower than our chip times.  Whatever.  Just stuff I don't get about timing.  I finished 6th in my age group, but not sure out of how many yet.  Just glad to have finished feeling awesome.

No comments: