Monday, January 28, 2013

Letter from Elder Caleb Clark 1-28-13


Dear Family,
I had Bacterial Gastroenteritis, and the explanation from the doctor was kinda interesting. He said when I took the anti-biotic for the tonsillitis  I killed off most everything in my intestinal tract. Most everything. The things that weren't killed were able to grow in number until they were causing considerable damage. I still technically have it and probably will for a week or so more, according to the doctor. It's not that much fun, and I really have to be careful what I eat. I've lost 22 pounds in the last 2 weeks (but I also gained at least 10 in the Missionary Training Center). I didn't realize how much weight I had lost but ward members keep telling me I look like I'm loosing weight, and when I weighed myself it was confirmed.
Basically, It sucked, and continues to suck, and will continue to suck for a week or so more.
I will get better though, and it is no longer interfering with the work.
I went to the temple on Friday, which was wonderful. The Newport Beach Temple is the only temple in the world that was paid for entirely by the members in the area it serves. It's beautiful, and we got to spend almost 4 hours inside  because we were the only 3 missionaries who went that day. What a wonderful experience.
I put my brother's name on the prayer roll.

I got the package you sent! I was super excited! I loved the frosted flakes, and I can't wait until I can afford milk again so I can eat them! All the missionaries in my zone say it must be nice to have parents who still care about them ha ha.

My ears no longer hurt. I think it was a side effect of one of the drugs I was prescribed  because it stopped when I stopped taking them.

Speaking of drugs, did you know a person dies every other day in Orange County because of opioid abuse? I didn't realize that until one of the less actives we have been trying to visit killed herself with Vicodin and a host of other things last Wednesday. It's been a dark week.
Also, while on the topic of crime, we found out that we should not be riding our bikes on Glassel at night because that's where the prostitutes hang out. Yikes.

On to happier things, last Monday, the TV Show Parks and Rec was filmed in the Orange Circle, and I got to watch it being filmed. I saw lots of famous people (Also, Elton John ate at a restaurant down there and passed us on the street on Saturday) and it was really cool. NAMM is happening in Anaheim, which is a convention I intend to go to when I get back and get off the ground. Elton John played a live concert there that was beamed wirelessly to player pianos in peoples homes. That is cool. When I was younger, we didn't even have smart phones, and now all these kids are doing amazing technology things. Crap, I feel myself aging. Gnar. There we go. Now I'm hip.

I learned a lot of cool things in the temple that Ill tell you about sometime.
I have to go, but I hope this hold you over till next week, which will be hectic. Transfer Calls are this weekend and I'm really nervous. I love this area and don't want to leave.
Elder Clark.

No comments: