Monday, February 4, 2013

Letter and Pictures from Caleb 2-4-13

Picture at Silverado Canyon

Wild Parrots, we see them all the time.

This is a picture we got of my district last transfer, after a hike.


















































Dear Family,

Transfer calls happened Saturday Night. It was nerve-racking, but the worst was that my District leader told me I was being transfered and then told me he was joking. I got my hopes up for nothing. Also another change is that sisters are now serving in the ward with us.

They split our area, and we lost all of our investigators, and now are beginning the process of finding again. They originally split the area at the 55, but Elder Healey complained and it was changed to Tustin. So now we have one investigator, Nick, who has a date of August. Hahaha...

 The original split gave us one fourth of our area, and now we have a third. I don't get it, because we are more physically fit, but now the Sisters on bike have a bigger area. Oh and Elder Healey, my trainer, and I are companions for a third transfer! Maybe he will learn to wash the dishes this time? My district leader is now a zone leader somewhere else, and Elder Herron is now my district leader. He is Trio-training with Elder Cannon in S. Creek.

 We had Stake Confrence this last Sunday. We had 5 investigators there (of course now they are all the Sisters) and it was a really good meeting, until the old man who said the prayer talked about the 1st resurrection for 5 min. *Facepalm* "What does that mean?" Sid asked. "Well to be honest, I'm going to have to do quite a bit of research myself..." I replied.


 Today has been a long day. We are moving apartments in a few weeks, at which point one of us will be transfered out of the area rather soon as well. We have decided to focus on serving the members as a way to gain trust for referals. Referals are where the real work gets done. I am so glad for the experience I have from my life. A few days ago I fixed a sprinkler for a member that was damaged from a palm tree root. It had cracked the pipe, so I made Elder Healey dig, cut the pipe, and stand in the water while I did the easy stuff. Thats what he gets for not knowing how to do basic things.


 My goal is to learn how to cook while I'm out here so that when I get back I can be awesome at it. I made chicken, and it was good. I cheated though, because I boiled it almost all the way cooked and then put it in the oven. A member suggested it to me to keep it tender all the way through but to also have it not be raw or overdone anywhere. Oh it was so good!

 You asked what foods I have tried? Well, I had liver for the first time. It's not actually that bad. I've had dog (her name was cuddles, but she was nicknamed puddles because she peed everywhere), I've had the best mexican food in the world, and I've had burgers. I don't really get pizza or spaghetti.

I made chili a few days ago and seperated it out into serving size bags and froze most of it. It was easy (3/4 lb 85/15 beef, can of tomato sauce, 4 cans of beans that I found for 79 cents, and a little chili powder and cumin. So fast and so good! Cheap too! Sister Yuen (a ward member) taught me how to make a traditional mexican dish that I can't remember the name for but have the recipe for at home. It was delish.

 Sister Cannon is going to teach me how to make Krispy Kremes (Which they have out here and are delicious). I have had oranges off the tree, avacados off trees, limes, lemons, and all sorts of fun things. I even tried a tomato, and liked it. I didn't really like it, but it was edible.

I think when you go on a mission, the Lord blesses you with the gift to not care about what you eat, because it all somehow tastes great. Except one meal that we had, which hurt my insides and which was gross. AND THEN SHE SERVED APPLE PIE WITH CHEDAR CHEESE ON IT. That was not great. I thought "K" from Men in Black was kidding when he ordered that at the diner...

 The work is going great. Well it was, and now we have quite a bit of work to do, but we will get it done. I am excited for the changes that are happening in the mission. Got to go, but I hope you enjoy my letter! Elder Clark

4 comments:

The Duke said...

He ate dog?!? Gross....
It sounds like he is excited and doing well.
I can just see him fixing that sprinkler. :) That made my day.

Michelle said...

I really think the "ate Dog" part is a joke. I will be asking him about it in the next letter. I think he wrote that to see if I'm paying attention. I seriously hope he isn't eating a dog. I will be sad if that is true.

Nicole and Brent Prime said...

It sounds like he is doing great! I can't wait for experiences like this as a mom. I still have to wait 4 more years. I'll enjoy your letters until then! Thanks for posting them.

Michelle said...

Nicole, it is so awesome. I hope you get to experience this as well.