Thursday, March 8, 2012

Liquid Meals for 4 weeks and 800 donations

Daniel mentioned to me earlier this morning that I didn't understand how hard it is for him to only have liquids and nothing else for the next 4 weeks.  I had a bright idea, I thought, "Why don't I only drink liquids for the next 4 weeks as well so that I CAN totally understand what he is going through?" 

I then told him I'd do it too. I would have only liquids and nothing else for the next 4 weeks.

I know this will be really hard to do, but it will help me have more empathy for his situation.  Plus I will have to do my research on different types of smoothies and drinks so that both Daniel and I get enough calories for our bodies, and so we get the proper amount of vegetables, fruits, grains, proteins and other nutrients our bodies need.  I will know by Tuesday when I donate plasma again how I'm doing in the Iron and Protein department because I'm tested every time I donate. 

Speaking of plasma donations:

Today I donated plasma for the 800th time.  I can't believe I've been donating twice a week for 9 years, but I have and I'm still doing well with it. 

If you have any healthy smoothie recipes, please  post them in the comments.

2 comments:

Jess and Jen said...

Our green smoothie receipe:

2 cups of water
1 tablespoon of chia seeds
half a freshly squeezed lemon
a bunch of spinach, kale, and collards
frozen strawberries/other berries
1 banana

Blend until it looks like baby's poop; drink up!

Jen added avocado to the smoothie today; we've also added coconut oil and pineapple on occasion.

Jess

Mike and Adrianne said...

We use a different smoothie recipe than Jess and Jen (not quite as healthy but tastier--I think--and with spinach and flax seed).

I just dump fruit, a little bit of frozen juice, sometimes a yogurt but not always, some water, and spinach and sometimes flax seed. It's good and the boys like it (usually).

Mike also just bought a juicer so we could get carrot juice and stuff. Good luck.