Sunday, April 10, 2011

Live Healthy Linn 5K

This was a great 5K race that I recommend everyone participate in.  It was ONLY $10 to enter this race.  It was chip timed so we knew our results immediately after the race.  They had a microphone so EVERYONE could hear all announcements at all times.  The post race food was plentiful.  They had regular popcorn, carmel popcorn, fruit treats, granola bars, water, Gatorade, bagels of all kinds and bananas.  We got a shirt and then there were numerous door prizes after the race.

The course had 3 hills, a small one, then medium and then a large hill.  After you conquered the 3 hills the entire race was downhill for the last 1 1/2 miles of it and that was AWESOME because I felt that I was just being pulled to the finish.    I was running next to a man aged 70 named Ron that helped me finish.  I had run up next to him and we were next to each other for several blocks, and that was about 3/4's of a mile before the race ended.  I started to breathe heavy and weird and he asked if I was okay. I told him my stomach hurt and that I felt like I was going to throw up.  He then told me to do a body check.  He said, "Are your feet  feeling okay?"  "Are your knees feeling okay?"  "Are your hips okay?"  I told him all those things felt great.  I asked him how he was feeling and he said, "I'm okay."    Then he said, "Just push past the pain you can beat this old man."   At one point I started to walk for about 3-4 seconds and he said, "Oh no you don't, push through the pain."  So I pushed and I gave it all I had.  I pretended that someone was chasing me and because of that had my best race ever.  Thank you Ron from Cedar Rapids!

 I achieved a Personal Best time of 27:10  and this beats my last personal best by almost a whole minute.  My last personal best time was 28:02  so this new time is incredible for me.  I know it was because I was coached by Ron.

Here are all my official stats:

Time 27:10
Race pace 8:45 minute mile
I was 83 out of 191 total participants, 35 of 127 Women, and 13th place out of 63 in my age group of 30-39!

Stephany and I before our race began.  It was a little cold out,  but nice and not raining.


another after race picture

All the goodies in our packets!

5 comments:

Mike and Adrianne said...

What a nice man! Ah, the memories...every time I read these posts I remember when I ran cross country. That was so hard but always such a nice feeling to know I conquered. Your times are awesome.

Alyssa said...

that is alot of goodies yum!

Jess and Jen said...

Way to go on beating your time! That's great that Ron was such a nice guy and helped you out! -Jen

Linda said...

Congratulations on a new personal best! And hooray for Ron--there's definitely a life lesson there! We all need someone to help us push through the pain, push us when we start to falter, and coach us to a win. We all need Ron's in our life and we need to be Ron for each other :)

Michelle said...

Thank you for all the nice comments. Yes we all need people like Ron in our life!