Monday, April 20, 2009

Caleb had a voice competition this last weekend and recieved a superior rating. He was exhausted but very happy. We are proud of him. We video'd him singing but he made me promise that I wouldn't post it. I still might but a promise is a promise. He sang two songs. One was a piece in Italian that I had never heard before and the other was a piece by Vaughn Williams called the Vagabond. He has some breath support issue that are completely normal in HS aged singers but his pitch and rhythm are dead on. What a kid.

On a different subject, I caught a few minutes of the Miss USA pagent last night and happened to hear Miss California's response to a question regarding gay marriage. Did any of the rest of you hear it? What did you think. This is a somewhat touchy subject here in IA since the Iowa Supreme Court ruled that gay marriage is to be legal in IA as of about two weeks ago.

4 comments:

The Duke said...

Congratulations, Caleb!! That's so awesome! I believe Chelsey was the only one of my kids to do an actual solo at region (maybe Kaitlin did this year) and then she went on to State and recevied a superior. I don't know why none of the rest of them did it. It's really cool!
I'm proud of you, kiddo. I hope I get to hear you sing one of these days.
No, I did not hear what Miss California said - I didn't even know the pagent was on. What did she say?

Jason said...

The question essentially was asking for her view on gay marriage. She said that she felt marriage should be between a man and a woman.

The Duke said...

I just saw it play on some program. Good for her in having the courage to stand up for what she felt. You won't find many young women in that group that would have the kind of courage.
Mom

Lokodi said...

Great Job Caleb. I really wish Jason would break that promise and post the song on the blog. I would love to hear what you sound like. I'm proud of you.

I didn't hear the Miss USA comment either, but that's totally awesome that she responded like that. Mom's right, it takes a lot of courage for a woman to say that on national television these days. Especially since she's from Cali. She'll probably get a lot of crap for that when she goes back home.

Lindsey