Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Theism vs. Atheism

This last Sunday, I caught part of a debate on PBS put on by Intelligence Squared. I only got the first round (I had a HT appointment) but I was so interested that on Monday, I looked up the transcript and read all 53 pages of it. The topic was "The world would be a better place without religion." On the side for the position was A.C Grayling (an atheist philosopher) and Michael Chapman (great, great, grandson of Charles Darwin and avowed atheist). On the side against the position were Dinesh D'Souza (President of King's College in NYC) and Rabbi David Wolpe (Rabbi of the Sinai Temple in L.A.). The opening salvos (Grayling then D'Souza then Chapman then Wolpe) were cordial but pointed. It got uglier as the debate wore on but it was fascinating none the less. I was struck by the sense of smugness I felt in Grayling and Chapman as well as a sense of hopelessness from them. Their humanist views of existance are completely unfathomable to me. Although they technically won the debate (audience voted), I felt their views were really reduced to two things. First, religion leads to cruelty. They of course pulled out the crusades, 9/11, and so forth to further their position. I thought that point (which they attempted to make several times) was nicely combated by D'Souza and Wolpe (how many people have been killed in the name of atheism? Stalin, Pol Pot, Mao, etc...). Secondly, our friendly atheists tried to make a point that a loving God would not make a set of rules that leads people to so much guilt, personal pain, or makes a lofty goal that is unattainable. I believe it was D'Souza that refuted that by essentially saying that we become better people by having something for which to strive, even if we fall short.

If you are interested, click on the following link: http://intelligencesquaredus.org/index.php/past-debates/the-world-would-be-better-off-without-religion/

Again, I can't fathom living a life devoid of God or my knowledge of the gospel of Jesus Christ. How hopeless that would be. There is great strength to be gained by following the precepts of the gospel - even when we fail.

No comments: