Thursday, October 7, 2010

Help my Royal Crown hurts.

Last Wednesday I got my first and HOPEFULLY only crown in the left upper part of my mouth.

I had to get a crown because I had a cracked tooth.


Before getting the crown I had tight contacts between the teeth, meaning it has always been hard to get the dental floss between the teeth back there and I would hardly get anything out (that's good right?)

Well I get the crown and now there's space on both sides of that tooth and when I floss I literally get chunks of food out. (sick right?)

So my questions are:

Should I have this large space now on both sides of the tooth?

AND

Should my crown, or tooth, or whatever is back there now still be hurting 1 week and 2 days later?

If you are a dentist or a dental student or have any knowledge whatsoever on teeth or if you just feel like helping me out, please respond.


By the way, I just called my dentist's voice mail at their office at 10:25 p.m. and left a message saying I'm in pain and need to be seen as soon as possible.

My last question:

Do you think they will charge me to check it out?

3 comments:

Jared Sorensen said...

First of all you I would recommend seeing your dentist to get fully checked out. However, you shouldn't have gaps between the crown and the next tooth. The contacts may just be "lighter" than you are used to. If there are really no contacts the dentist should replace that for you. Depending on what your pain is like and what brings it on how long it last and other characteristics there could be several things going on. It can be common to have sensitivity with a new crown placement. Next if there is food impaction going you may be actually having pain from your gum tissue. You said your tooth was cracked before, depending on the crack it can further propagate. I assume you didn't have root canal treatment on this tooth. You might end up needing it unfortunately. If you do need RCT you should get crown replaced on the dentist if there really is no contacts with the adjacent teeth. Good luck. Sorry!

Michelle said...

Thank you Dr. Sorenson. I wish you were my dentist because I really can't stand mine. Please move back immediately. Any chance of that?

When I was at my last appoinment getting this crown done she was first all nice asking the usual questions like, "How are you, how's the family, how's the husband, what are you up to these days?" then she puts this LARGE mouth thing in that holds back your tongue and holds your mouth open that really starts to make your jaw ache after an hour and when she had a little break after an hour or so, I asked her to remove it so I could stretch my jaw cause it was really hurting and that mouth thing felt like it was cutting into my bottom gum. AND then she not only said some snappy/snippy thing to me, but then she rolled her eyes. So when this whole thing is done and I'm not in pain and her bill is paid, then I'm out of there finding a new dentish. I will no longer support her anymore, she's had Jason and I 6 years too long.

The Duke said...

I've had a couple of crowns and I haven't experienced anything like you have. There is a little sensitivity at first, but after a day or so, it wears off and then it's natural as can be. I can't floss very well between my back teeth, either, but it's mostly because my mouth is small and it's hard to open very wide.
You need to have this checked out and I wouldn't expect to pay.