Saturday, September 25, 2010

Flying Pigs Duathlon--Washington, Iowa

A couple months ago I saw this race advertized at our local 'Running Wild' store and thought, "How great it would be to be in a team race where Jason doesn't have to run since he doesn't like to run."

Details of the race were these: 1 person runs a 5K (3.1 miles), then the next person bikes 20 miles, then the last person runs 1.5 miles. Originally I was going to run the 5k and Brenden would run the last 1.5 miles. However when practicing for this race Brenden had a faster 5K time than me, so we all decided it would be best if he ran the first part instead of me. We decided to name our team "Go Meat" and we registered. Today was the race. Our team number was 915. The last person on the team wears the actual number and the other two wear big number stickers. Here is Jason and Brenden showing off their numbers.

Brenden at the start line. He was freezing because it was starting to lightly rain and it was only 59 degrees.






23 minutes and 33 seconds later, here comes Brenden sprinting to the finish line. This was a personal best for Brenden. He usually runs his 3.1 miles in around 24 minutes. I was super impressed by his time.

When Brenden arrived at the finish, Jason started his bike race. It also started to rain more. After Jason had been gone about a half hour I heard someone say that the bike race was hard, it was downhill for the first 10 miles, then uphill on the 10 miles back. Jason did awesome,he finished his 20 miles in 57 minutes 30 seconds.


When Jason finished the biking portion of the race then I began my 1.5 mile race. I finished in 12 minutes 35 seconds, which is a personal best for me. This means I ran an 8.23 minute mile pace.


When I finished our final Team time was 1:33:37 We were happy with our time and felt we had done well.







Turns out we did Awesome!!! We placed 2nd out of the 8 teams. With the #1 team only beating us by 2 minutes and 26 seconds. We each received a medal and a $10 gift certificate to 'Running Wild'. First thing Brenden said was, "Great now I can buy running spikes!"

7 comments:

chelsey said...

So incredibly proud and jealous of what you've got going here! I just think it's so great that your kids are able to do this with you. I think Geoff would like that. Now if I could figure out what to do with my foot, maybe I'd be able to run farther than 1/2 mi. Even with my orthotics, I'm feeling the foot pain after a few minutes. Maybe I should be the biker!

chelsey said...

And holy cow Jason and Michelle! Check out your leg muscles. Getting ready for Mr and Mrs Universe or something?? ;)

Mike and Adrianne said...

I just left a comment and it didn't save. This is happening to me a lot lately...

I said in my first comment that you guys are awesome and I really love that you are getting your entire family involved in this! Congratulations!

Jess and Jen said...

So fun that you guys could do this all together and do so well! Way to go! -Jen

Janessa said...

You guys are awesome! What a wonderful family event. I am so impressed!!!

The Duke said...

Great news!! I'm so excited that Brenden is doing this with you. Give him a great big hug for me and tell him how proud I am of what he did. You all did so well.
Congratulations!!!!

Papa Doc said...

Wow! Now if I had been in the race and had done that well then you could have said that pigs do fly. But for you guys, well, pigs just don't have that kind of stamina, and they certainly can't fly like that!

This is so cool, and for Brendon to be a part is really something. Keep up the good work and who knows what will happen. Just wait until that boy gets long legs!

Dad Clark