Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Being a parent

Most parents of teenagers like to complain a lot. I am no different. Teens are exasperating know-it-alls who oftentimes don't think of anyone but themselves. On the other hand, they can be incredibly funny, thoughtful, and a true joy to be around. I often wonder how much of what I have been trying to teach them is actually getting through and taking root. There isn't much in my life that is more satisfying than seeing or more likely, hearing, about my children making good choices. I will have counted my life a success if my children serve missions, get married in the temple, and stay true to the gospel of Jesus Christ throughout their lives. Nothing else I have done or will do in the future matters as much.

3 comments:

chelsey said...

You know, my kids aren't quite teenagers yet...at least not officially though they seem to think they are.

I took a parenting class in college (which was an easy A I might add...) and they mentioned that parenting toddlers and teenagers is realitively the same thing. It's all about "me" in both age groups and neither can seem to think rationally. In other words, I'm dreading those years.

I hope I can find positives in the teens I'll have in a few years. Your kids are great and will make great missionaries someday soon!

The Duke said...

One thing you might be able to use as a metric as to how your parenting goes -- or at least how your children are catching on is to see how they act around others when you are not around.
I was always shocked when people would tell me how well all my kids behaved in public. From home I wouldn't have known that, but usually kids act much better away from parents than they do at home.
I think you have some great kids.
I echo your sentiments. Nothing matters more to me than my children and their quest for exaltation. Some days I feel like I will be carried there on my children's wings.

Linda said...

My standards for success are much lower than yours. I will count my life a success if I don't kill them during their brief stay in my home and if I survive the experience. :D