Sunday, August 8, 2010

And the Winner is . . . . . . . . . . . .

We all woke up at 5:45a.m. to go to Swisher, IA. Here we are just after picking up our packets. This race was a 5K and 400 meter kids fun run.

Jason, Michelle, Stephanie (Michelle's friend) Alyssa, Brenden and Scott. Jared is with us (yet not pictured) because he is our photographer. Daniel had to work at the local grocery store so he couldn't be here with us.

Putting our packets in the van and getting the numbers on our bellies







Scott being silly right before the race.








Jason running fast to complete the race. When you double click on the picture of him running through the finish you can see his awesome time of 26:29 That is fabulous for a 3.1 mile race. This means he ran a 8:30 minute mile.









Then there's me, completely worn out and not doing well. I had a huge cramp in my side for most of mile 2, walked a bunch and just didn't feel good. My final time--31:45 this is just over a 10 minute mile.


Here are the children before the race.





Scott won a t-shirt and he was super excited about that.






After the race, here are Scott and Alyssa with their finishing ribbons.

Brenden ran super fast and was the winner. He won a bike helmet and received a huge medal that he wore around his neck all day.
Brenden's time was 1 minute 18 seconds for his 400 meters.

We loved doing this race so much that most of us have signed up for another race called the Muddy Monster race on October 23rd, a week before Halloween.
There is a 15K, 5K, 1 Monster Mile for kid's race and a Mini Monster 400 meter race. So far everyone except for Caleb is signed up. I'm hoping to talk him into it as well! Since it's a Halloween race, it is suggested that we dress up in costume. Alyssa said that we should all wear similar costumes that are all food and be the McClarkies! Too funny. There is even candy for the post face food for the children.

7 comments:

Jess and Jen said...

That is totally awesome. How fun for all of you to run. Where were Dan and Jared? They weren't interested?

I'd be lucky to get one 8:30 mile and couldn't dream of doing three of them right now. Wow. Good work, guys! -Jess

Michelle said...

Hi Jess,

I've been having computer problems all day, which is why this post says it was posted 10 hours ago when really I just barely finished it after your comment. So there is more to the story on the post that wasn't there earlier.
Daniel had to work at 10a.m. and we weren't sure we'd be back in time. Jared was our photographer, so he was with us. I should have gotten a picture of him.
Jason was surprised by his time and I'm so glad he did so well.

Mike and Adrianne said...

Good job!! I'm so excited to see everyone running in your family.

Heidi said...

That's so cool you've got the whole family running together. That Halloween race sounds fun. Post race candy sounds like my kind of thing.

Lokodi said...

Congrats Brenden! That's so awesome. I'm so proud of you. I have to say that I'm really impressed with Jason and Michelle right now. I love how they've kept all their weight off for so many years and they are even getting their kids motivated and active. That's so important to encourage your kids to be physically fit. It's just really awesome. You're a great inspiration for me.

Lindsey

chelsey said...

You guys are awesome! What a great thing to do as a family! I should get Geoff running with me, though he'd out lap me several times and probably wouldn't find me a fun running partner.

Way to go guys!

Jason said...

I am shocked that no one has made fun of my farmer's tan, yet. Come on, you guys, you are losing your touch.

I was pretty pleased with my time - it is the fastest I have run this distance since high school but get this Craig Green (a guy in our ward in CA who currently lives in Sandy, just ran the Provo River half marathon and finished in 1 hour and 16 minutes (he won the race). I looked up his running blog and saw that his fastest 5K time was over 10 minutes faster than mine. WOW!!