Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Age

Getting older is a double edged sword. As I age I get smarter. I have had a lot of experiences in my life that have taught me many valuble lessons that I probably wouldn't have learned just by listening to someone talk about their own experiences. I guess we call that gaining wisdom. Not that it isn't possible to be wise when we are younger - Alma tells us that we should learn wisdom in our youth. When we talk about that scripture at home, I tell my boys that wisdom is knowing what we don't need to experience in order to learn a lesson (i.e. knowing cocaine is bad without having to use it first). However, there are some aspects of wisdom that can only come through experience for most of us. In the last 10 years, I have had the opportunity to learn how to forgive on a grand scale. It is easy to forgive someone who offends you without meaning to but it is a whole different story when the act is deliberate and painful. As much as I wish those experiences hadn't happened, I am thankful for the personal development I have undergone. The Lord will continue to allow me to have experiences that require me to freely forgive all until I have mastered that principle.

One of the other valuble lessons I have learned with age is that you are never too old to try something new. For example, in the past five years, I have learned to roller blade, snowboard (kind of), competed in two triathlons, and have gotten four different certifications in the fitness field. Although I am not a pro in any of the above mentioned things (although I'd like to think I am a pretty darn good fitness instructor), I have proven to myself that I can master new things and make new habits that are beneficial to my life.


The downside of aging is that it's already halfway over and there is still so much to do. Also, I can't play as hard as I used to because I just don't heal as quickly as I used to. I watched the Minnesota wrestle Wisconsin last night (much to Michelle's dismay) and remembered the pain I experienced during wrestling season in high school. I can't imagine how I would feel after being on the mat for 6 minutes today. I still have a sore tail bone and sore ribs from snowboarding last Thursday. I am sure being on the mat with one of those wrestlers I watched last night would land me in a world of hurt.

As the cliche goes, youth is wasted on the young.

3 comments:

chelsey said...

I'm 6 years behind you and already feeling my age. I was perhaps over ambitious and walked on the treadmill for 57 min last night with a few minutes here and there running. I woke up this morning barely able to move my knees. They ache SO badly today! What is that all about?! Aren't you supposed to feel better when you exercise? I can't decided if I should keep walking everyday and it will get better, or if I'm in this for the long haul with ice and heat for the rest of my life. Too bad I don't swim well.
As far as the wisdom goes, I always wonder how the average teenager figures that out. Unfortunately, there isn't enough wisdom in our youth these days. It's a hard thing to teach your kids. It requires a lot of faith and personal testimony on their part.
And did you actually break a rib or are you just really sore? Are there pictures of your snowboarding adventures? I'm sure we'd all love to see them!

Jason said...

Chels,

Keep walking. It does get better. Runners will tell you that when they start training for a race (especially if they haven't been running for a while) they will start with very low mileage and add 10%/week. This helps to avoid injury and increases the likelyhood of being successful. Hopefully your knee pain will get better.

I don't have any pictures of my snowboarding trip- at least not on the hill. I went with four guys from work and we had a blast. I don't think my rib is broken but it is very sore. I am hoping that it is just a bruised intercostal muscle.

Papa Doc said...

Poor ribs. I can still remember the first time I hurt mine. I was on the floor in Nebraska in our play room which was our bedroom. One of you kids jumped off the bed onto my chest. Before long, it really hurt. I went to the doctor and he said that I had cracked my ribs. I takes a long time to heal, so good luck.

Just wait. YOu guys are still young. Last night for no reason that I am aware of my right leg started to hurt and I am haveing a hard time walking. I guess it just comes with age.

Dad Clark