Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Star Cake

Tonight was a Birthday Party for Relief Society at our Church. Relief Society is the oldest charitable Women's organization in United States. There was a cake contest and if you wanted to make a cake and bring it you could. I thought up the idea of a star cake. I made 2 long sheet cakes then put my Large Star insert from my springform pan over the cake and used it as a guide to cut a star. I then stacked 3 layers of stars together. I thought sprinkles would look cute.

Then I had this idea to make little stars out of starburst candies. I warmed them up for 4 seconds in the microwave so I could roll them with a rolling pin. (By the way never heat them 10 seconds, they look pretty gross. ) then after heating them, I rolled them out and took the small star cookie cutter and cut them. I used two stars for each one on a toothpick so that the toothpick could be in the middle. Then I stuck them in the cake. Even though my idea was unique, the winning cake is shown at the bottom of this post. She deserved to win, her cake was incredible. As a result of the evening I won the Starburst Award which says, "For the cake that was made to be a star!" Too cute. Fun was had by all.





















Everything on this cake, even the bees are edible. This cake not only looked fabulous, it tasted better than any cake I've ever had in my life. It was a Lemon-Lime Cheesecake Cake. So yummy. The girl that made it was Heather Gibbons from Coralville, Iowa. I want to have her do my children's wedding cakes someday.

5 comments:

The Duke said...

What a clever idea with the Starbursts! I would never have thought about something like that. Your cake looked great! The winning cake is beautiful, too. I wish I had talent in that area. I have no talent in the baking field whatsoever. (I do have talent purchasing the food, though.)
Fun night - thanks for sharing.
Chris

chelsey said...

Wow! Your cake looks great. I'm going to have to try that one. Love the starburst idea. My kids love those! And that's some serious time and talent put into that winning cake! Holy cow!

Papa Doc said...

I don't care about her making a birthday cake, just so I can be there for any cake she makes. Your description of her cake make my mouth water.

Your cake looked great too. The Starburst award is kind of like the award you get for building a pinewood derby car. You know, best design, best paint, smoothest wheels, shinnyest, etc. At least you can eat the Starburst.

Dad Clark

Michelle said...

Thank you all for the nice comments. The starburst idea is actually from a Pampered Chef cooking flyer I read a long time ago, they said you can roll out starbursts and then cut them into shapes with mini cookie cutters. Pampered Chef has some mini cutters and I have used them on meat and cheese slices as well for a cute touch.

Mike and Adrianne said...

That's a great cake. I would love to be a great cake maker. I love watching Ace of Cakes or something like that on the Food Network (when I'm at someone's house who has cable).