Friday, October 17, 2008

Unfairly Fired

There are many things in life that don't make sense and we wonder, what do we have to learn from this experience?

Each experience will only make us a stronger person and how we take that lesson and grow defines us as a person overall.

It's 3 in the morning and I'm wide awake due to all the stuff that happened yesterday.

I was fired from my fitness instructor position at Core Fitness in Iowa City, Iowa yesterday.

I loved that job and taught 6 classes a week. I was there whenever possible and only subbed my class out if I was sick (which was rare) or my children were sick (again rare thank goodness). In the begining 4 years ago I would teach at 5:30a.m. twice a week. I never missed a class ever, even in dangerous weather. I was always there no matter what.

The members of Core that I had the privledge to know over the 4 years that I worked there are very special to me. I taught a variety of classes ranging from
Body Step, Body Pump both of Les Mills out of New Zealand, and also a new class called Zumba (a latin dance aerobic class). Over the years I have subbed for other instructors and met almost everyone in Core fitness. I tried to learn all their names and personally cared about every person. I loved that job.

I have never in my life been fired from a job and never saw this coming. This is a shock to my system and the only reason I can see why I was fired would be becuase my husband, Jason, had decided to leave Core and go to a new gym to teach in November. He gave his 4 1/2 week notice on Monday and I guess the management at Core must have decided to push us both out of there along with other instructors as well.

I had made the decision to stay with Core since I had many classes and didn't want to give them up. Since I have never been fired in my life from any job, I'm not sure how it all works, however I was sure that when someone is to be fired that they are brought aside personally and explained why they are being let go. I was fired by e-mail. In my opinion this is so extremely unprofessional and wrong.

My heart will heal from my sadness, and in time I know I will be moving on to other gyms to teach once again, at least I hope. I am sad and will miss the members of Core.

Here is a copy of the e-mail I received from my fitness coordinator yesterday.

Michelle,


After extended conversations with the owners it has been decided that you will be released from your Les Mills contract and from instructing at Core, effective immediately.
This termination has been necessitated by numerous violations of the Group Fitness Instructor Guidelines you've received. Specific reasons include, but are not limited to:
-habitual and repeated subbing of assigned classes
-inappropriate and derogatory comments, verbal and via e-mail, with
members as well as other employees
Core cannot meet and maintain high standards under these conditions, which is obviously why they are specifically pointed out in the Guidelines.
We do thank you for your past efforts and wish you the best of luck in the future.

Rick, Tracy, Jen, and Brett

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Nice wasn't it?

6 comments:

Team Clark said...

Oh my goodness, Michelle! I'm so sorry.
Are you going to talk to them about it?

Papa Doc said...

Michelle,
Read my comment on Jason's blog about this.
I'm so sorry! Talk about a tough week for you guys!
Mom C.

Mike and Adrianne said...

Michelle, I'm so sorry. What a tough week. I hope things get better.

Dan's Wife said...

That completely stinks. I'm really sorry to hear about all the stuff that's happened this week. Hoping things look up soon.

chelsey said...

Have fun at the new job! Sounds like you can all us the fun these days! Can't wait to see you all next week!

Unknown said...

They are crazy to fire you.... something crazy is going on there!! Molly