Thursday, October 16, 2008

Load of Crap!!!

There is a new gym opening up in town. It is called Performance Health and Fitness. Both Michelle and I were offered positions there. Michelle decided to stay on at Core for a while but I decided to accept the new position. The new gym will open on Nov. 15. One of our fellow instructors at Core was hired at Performance to be the new Group Fitness Manager (GFM). When she told the management at Core, she was fired. Shortly thereafter, another instructor was fired. Both terminations were punitive and therefore illegal. The rest of us decided to clam up about our decisions until the time to quit drew closer. Management demanded that we let them know what we were doing so that they could ostensibly get a new schedule made out. Our current GFM assured me personally that they hadn't fired anybody so I felt relatively safe letting them know that I had made the decision to leave.

Today they fired me. And Michelle. And another instructor. The reasons they gave me in my termination email (they don't even have the spine to talk to me in person) were completely false.

I have done everything in my power to leave Core in a very professional manner and this is how I get repaid. There is a limited supply of good instructors in this town and they are burning bridges faster than they can build them. What a bunch of morons.

6 comments:

Jess and Jen said...

Michelle, does the other gym still have a job for you? Hope it all works out and that the new gym is great! --Jen

Jason said...

I called another gym in town this afternoon and was immediately offered a job. Michelle apparently was on the same wavelength and also called that gym she was also immediately offered a position. These positions are in addition to the ones we have at Performance starting in November.

Jessica Sorensen said...

that is a load of crap

Team Clark said...

What is up with gyms and their management? Is it an unwritten law that if you own a gym you are supposed to specialize in being a horrible person? Seriously! Gyms seem to exhibit THE worst customer service - for both inside and outside people. Grrrrrr....

Papa Doc said...

Jason,
Do you remember me asking if you thought the gym would take it out on Michelle if you quit and she didn't? You told me they loved her and you didn't think they would want to lose her.
I'm very sad to hear all of this but glad that other positions are available.
I think you guys have had one rough week! Come home and relax - let us keep you company and come home to laugh and enjoy family. Maybe that will help?
I'm sorry this happened to both of you.
Mom

chelsey said...

Load of crap is right! Obviously Core is threatened by the other gyms in town. Good luck at the other places and I'm glad you're out of Core if that's the way they treat employees.