Sunday, January 27, 2013

North Dodge Athletic Club Indoor Triathlon 2013

Well it's over.  After MONTHS of hard work, mostly by Jason, he pulled off the 3rd annual North Dodge Indoor Triathlon.   Here is a news article with a video:  Article in the paper and on the 6 and 10p.m. News!
It's a really great news article, so I hope you click on it and watch it.

I wasn't sure if I would participate this year because I had a huge job of organizing the entire volunteer section of the race, which included first finding a volunteer website that I could list all the jobs with times, dates, and descriptions of what needed done.  Then writing everyone I knew and asking them to volunteer multiple times.  Advertising the race on facebook, through e-mail, word of mouth and through others to get people to sign up.  We needed at least 30 volunteers, but up to 40 to really pull off this event.  E-mailing people over and over, typing up lists of where people would be, making sure I had enough people everywhere and more.  It was a huge job and I'm really tired now.

Jason was working on the triathlon almost every day and sometimes all day, taking many vacation days, on some days just to make sure everything got handled correctly.  His list must have been a mile long of things that needed done.

I decided to participate in the very last wave of the day.  There were 9 waves of 7 people each.  I posted some pictures below of me in the race.  First you had to SWIM 10 minutes and there was a volunteer to count your laps and extra feet beyond complete laps swam.  Then you had to BIKE 30 minutes.  That was super hard for me since I hadn't practiced biking in a long time.  Then you had to RUN or in my case since I'm not cleared to run yet, I got to walk for 20 minutes.  I wanted to be a REAL competitor and NOT be last, so my goal was at least 13 miles on the spin bike and I achieved 13.3 miles on that mean bike.

I didn't go as far in the pool as I would have liked, only 7 laps with some additional feet, however at least I was able to swim after not having practiced in months.  Then the last event was running or walking.  I put the treadmill on the highest setting of fast walking that I could tolerate without pain and I was able to do 13-14 minute mile walking, which is majorly fast for me, almost running slow.  I achieved 1.36 miles of walking in 20 minutes.  After it is all done your swim feet with full laps are calculated into miles, then added to your bike and run miles.  My total mileage was 14.88 and I'm really happy about that.  I kicked butt on that bike.  I was 51st out of 61 participants overall, then 26th place of 33 Women.  28th of 33 on the Swim, 18th place out of 33 on the bike and 31 of 33 on the Run/Walk portion.

Brenden also competed, he was in the first wave of the day with my 3 friends Tracy, Rhoni Jo and Stephany.  I wanted to be with them, but had so much volunteer stuff I felt needed done in the beginning of the morning and wanted pictures of every person in every wave so the only way to achieve pictures of everyone was to either participate last or not participate at all.  Brenden's pictures are at the end of this post.  He kicked my booty with NO training whatsoever with more laps than me in the pool, 14.5 miles on the bike and 2.01 miles on the treadmill.  WOW I'm impressed by Brenden.  We both rocked it.  Brenden received 1st in his age group with a medal to take home.  Brenden was 34th out of 61 people overall.  19 of 28 on the Swim for Men, 20th place of 28 on the Bike and 20 of 28 for the Run.

That is me  3rd one down by the end with the  pinkish/orange swim cap on.

I'm swimming in the water., can you see my head?

Me on the spin bike that was literally kicking my butt.  Amy was next to me
coaching me and feeding me some energy from a monster cookie.  Jared was
coaching me as well.  

Me speed walking. I almost look like I'm running, but I'm not.  Still some pain in
the ankle so I need to be a good girl still and not run yet.


Brenden about to start the Triathlon.  See all the awesome volunteers
waiting to count their laps.  We had AWESOME volunteers.
Brenden is 2nd from the end, his head is up taking a breath.
Brenden on the spin bike.  He was NOT wanting his picture taken of him
at all, he was in the ZONE and working hard.
Brenden near the end of the bike portion.  He was working hard and really
tired, but hung in there for a whopping 14.5 miles on the bike, beating his
Mom by 1.2 miles on the bike.
Brenden running on the treadmill.  He achieved 2.01 miles on that thing and
this is AFTER swimming and biking.  Remember NO training and he
did it.  So proud of that boy!!!!

1 comment:

The Duke said...

Congratulations to all of you on a job well done! This is pretty darn impressive. I would love to volunteer at something like this some day.