Sunday, August 26, 2012

Iowa State Fair 2012

We have now lived in Iowa 12 years and every year Jason says, "We should go to the state fair." Every year we skip it. This year Jason said, "We are going to the State Fair." I looked into it and found out we could get FREE tickets in IF we got there on day 1 of the fair between 6 and 9a.m. and had a coupon from the paper. So I got up early on the Wednesday before the fair and went to the gas station to pick up the paper with the coupon in it. Because it was the Des Moines Register it cost me $1.00 each. I needed 7 papers so we would each have a free ticket.  Caleb was working and unfortunately didn't go with us.

We ended up leaving Wednesday night and staying at the Drury Inn hotel in DesMoines.  Everyone loved the hot tub and pool.  The next morning we went to the Fair bright and early.  The pictures tell the story.  A great day.
Alyssa and Jason in the hot tub


Scott swimming

breakfast at the hotel the next morning.  Everyone seemed
happy with the abundance of food there.

Scott liked all the animals.  

Me

A giant pig.  This picture doesn't show how big it is, but it was
massive.

I took a lot of pictures of bunnies, this one was really pretty.

Jason and Scott on a giant tractor.

The tractor was so large that I fit inside the wheel.

Scott

The fair had everything you could imagine to eat, even fried
snickers and oreos.  We tried both and we wouldn't do it again.
GROSS

Alyssa's nickname is Bob.  She found her name on the port a pottie
and thought it was funny.  

Jared and Scott riding the bumber cars.

A close up of Jared and Scott.

Daniel playing a baseball game.

another shot of Daniel.  He was sure he could guess his
speed for throwing the baseball, he was wrong.

Walking out of the fair.  It was only 3 p.m. and we were all
exhausted.  According to my GPS watch we had walked
over 8 miles that day.

A family picture.  Everyone is actually smiling.  Wish Caleb was in the picture.

We are cute.

Best part of trips is when the teenagers fall asleep.

Brenden sleeping.

3 comments:

The Duke said...

It looks like you had a great time! I LOVE state fairs! The one of all you smiling is priceless.
And I love the picture of you sitting in the middle of the tractor tire. Awesome picture.

Jason said...

My favorite part of State Fair's would have to be the animals. I had to laugh at Michelle as she gawked at the "big" sows. Apparently she has never seen a truly large hog.

Lokodi said...

I love state fairs. I bet the Iowa one is pretty great too. Glad you guys were able to make it. I love the picture of the boys sleeping. Pretty awesome. Who knew Jared slept with his mouth open? :)

Lindsey