Tuesday, August 21, 2012

I was worried

For the last few days my hip has been clicking and I’ve been a total wreck of worry.  I did a bunch of research on the internet.  Turns out it could have been a few things, but most likely a super tight IT band at the top near the hip.


So I made an appointment with the sports medicine doctor that I love (he is a long distance runner too) and got in super quick.  This is how it went:

The appointment went super well. He said that there is no stress fracture in the hip (which was my biggest worry) he said if it was I would be feeling the pain in my groin and I’m not. He said my IT band is just too tight and I need to do even more stretching and icing and using that foam roller consistently twice a day or more if I have time.  If you have no idea what a foam roller even is, here is a link. Mine is like the first black round one, except it is yellow. He said he would be happy to give me a cortisone injection (definition of the injection) in the top of the IT band to take away all pain and relax it, but if it was him he would do it two weeks before the marathon.

So I made an appointment for the 5th of September which is as close out to two weeks that I could get from now, and I will do it if needed, and that will be 10 days before the marathon. If all goes well and I can get this loosened up without more pain than I am experiencing now then I will skip the injection. He told me to make the appointment just in case I need it.

He told me that my hip probably hurts for two reasons:

It’s all I have thought about and I’m worried about it so my mind creates pain.

And

I’ve been massaging the area so much that I’ve bruised myself.

I got on the foam roller at his office to show him how I roll out my IT band and he checked my form. He said that I was rolling up too high into the hip and to stop about a hand before the bone. He said to put as much weight on the roller as I can stand.  This hurts to roll out on, but after you are done you feel better.

Today I ran 8.23 miles and felt amazing.  No hip pain at all, but the first thing I did was get on that foam roller when I got home and while I'm sitting typing there is an ice pack on both hips.

I will keep praying all will continue to loosen up and that I can complete the marathon on the 15th without pain or injury.

2 comments:

Lokodi said...

I've used a foam roller for my back. Every time I use it, my back will pop a million times. Sweet release! It hurts while you're doing it, but it's a good thing. Good luck with the hip. Take extra care of it. When's the marathon? I've had a cortisone shot in my foot to help with Plantar Fasciitis. It got rid of the pain for about two or three weeks, then it was back to horrid pain. They won't give me any more shots either because they said it's just a temporary fix. I don't care if it's temporary or not, I want another one! Even if it means only two or three weeks without pain. That would be blissful right about now.

Good luck with you race and take care of that body girl!

Lindsey

Mike and Adrianne said...

I hope you can get your hip to heal before your marathon! I'm sorry it hurts so bad.