Monday, May 9, 2011

Ohio Trip for Half Marathon and to see my new niece Laila!

 On Thursday, May 5th I left for Ohio with my two friends Tracy and Stephany.  Our goal was to complete races we had worked super hard training for.  Stephany's goal was to complete the 5K and to get a personal record (beat her time from previous 5K races) and Tracy's and my goal was to complete the half marathon race.  Several months ago my goal was to complete my race with a time of 2 hours 13 minutes or better since my last half marathon's time was 2 hours 26 minutes.  I figured with great training I could beat my time by 1 minute per mile.  As the time drew closer I became injured.  My IT band in my left leg was too tight and hurt when I ran.  I have Iliotibial Band Syndrome, to see what that is click here: Iliotibial Band Syndrome

The IT band is a nick name for iliotibial band.  To better describe it, it is a thick band of fibrous tissue that runs down the outside of the leg. The iliotibial band begins at the hip and extends to the outer side of the shin bone (tibia) just below the knee joint. The band functions in coordination with several of the thigh muscles to provide stability to the outside of the knee joint. I became stiff and hurt a lot.  I began to see a physical therapist to help loosen up.  I took almost 2 weeks off of running and felt amazing.  I thought this injury might be gone.  However I was wrong.

I started the race out great.  The first 3 miles flew by and I had a time of 27 minutes, (9 minute miles) so I was doing good in my opinion and I felt amazing!  The next mile came and I started feeling tightness of the IT band, so I went to the side of the road and began to do all my stretches that you do for IT bands, then I continued running.  I made it to mile 6 and decided to stretch again since I was in extreme pain.  While stretching on the side of the road I began to pray.  I was hurting and unsure of whether I should continue or not.  I stretched for what seemed like a while and up walked an angel on the side of the road. I was on the side of the road stretching (hoping to loosen everything up and continue the other 7 miles) and this lady comes up to me and said, "Are you okay?" I told her that my IT bands were hurting and getting super tight and this was the 2nd time I had stopped to stretch. She said, "I'm a massage therapist, do you mind if I touch you and help you?" I told her she could do whatever she wanted.


She then began doing all kinds of things to my legs with her hands to loosen them and I was able to run another 2 miles before needing to stretch again.

Mile 10, 11, and 12 were super hard, but in my mind I knew it was almost over and I could do it so I pushed myself on even though I was in severe pain.

At around mile 12 1/2 there was an Army service man running just up ahead from me with full gear on (backpacks weighing around 50 pounds) and the crowd was chanting USA, USA, USA over and over.  I started to cry and knew that if he could continue to run that last half mile dressed in those hot clothes and with that full backpack on that I could finish as well in my pain.  I cried harder, then composed myself and ran to the finish line with my arms up proudly!  I wasn't sure I'd ever get there, so my finishing medal means so much to me.  Below are some pictures.




Tracy, Stephany and I the night before our race.

After the race with our race medals on.


Mom, Dad and I after the race.  It was great to have them there waiting for me.

Another picture with my parents.  You can see that I have an ice pack on both knees.  I was in a ton of pain and not walking correctly.  I'm actually not sure how I finished this race.

my race number.



There were thousands of bagels.  I had to have a picture.  There was also pizza, pasta, chocolate, water, bananas, apples, gatorade, beer, champane, pink lemonade, and muscle milk.

This is the sign you want to see as soon as possible.

Or this flag.

Holding my new niece Laila for the first time.  I was so excited that I had the opportunity to visit Adrianne and Mike while passing through Ohio on my way home on Sunday after the race.

Look at those tiny feet with such long toes.  So adorable.

Mike, Adrianne and I.  I think Adrianne looks amazing for just having a baby 6 days ago!


Laila Faith Richards

7 comments:

Jess and Jen said...

Congrats on completing the half marathon! I'm glad you had a good experience and hopefully your injury will go away soon! -Jen

Meretta Blinks said...

Michelle- I am very impressed that u finished ur race!! That is awesome! Sorry to hear about ur injury getting in the way though! That medal should be worn for at least a week around ur neck!! Take care of ur band & wish I could of seen the site of man in full gear running! Beautiful!! Take care! Meretta

The Duke said...

I'm so impressed by your tenacious nature. I would have given up long before you even thought about it. I'm sorry that you had the problem with the injury and I sure hope it heals completely so you can continue to do anything you want to do in a physical nature.
Congratulations to a job well done.
I'm glad you got to see Adrianne, too. She was very happy to see you.

Janessa said...

Wow, you are amazing! I'm so glad you were able to finish the race. I'm so impressed that you pushed through the pain and were able to do that. You're so inspiring! I hope your knees are able to heal so that you can keep running. Way to go!!! Your niece is beautiful!

Linda said...

Congratulations on finishing such an challenging race! If you can do that, you can do anything!

Merrilee said...

Good job finishing! I'm sorry to hear you are still hurting so much! I hope you get feeling better soon!

Michelle said...

Thanks for all your nice comments!