Monday, April 5, 2010

There is no point here

Have any of you seen the latest Burger King ad? It's one of the best since the "I'm on a horse" Old Spice ad. To be honest, the King gives me the heebie jeebies but this last ad is great. I love when large corporations can step back and make fun of themselves. Anyway, if you haven't seen it, it's great. The commercial starts with the King breaking into McDonald's headquarters to steal the recipe for the sausage egg biscuit or muffin (I don't remember which). It ends by saying that BK's new sausage egg biscuit is not unique but at least it only costs a dollar.

Michelle and I made strawberry freezer jam on Saturday. We had never tried to make any kind of jam before and I must say, we hit a homerun our first time at bat. It is kind of hard not to when you mix strawberries and sugar. We had some yesterday for Easter dinner with Sandy and Larry (friends from the Cedar Rapids area) and I had more this morning on toast. I probably could have gone through half a loaf of bread this morning if I hadn't been in such a hurry. I think maybe next time we will try at least one batch with Splenda.

It looks like most of my tulips are going to make it this year. Last year, the rabbits waged war on my tulips and crocuses. They tried again this year but only got a couple of them before I began sprinkling pepper and red chilli powder around the flowers. That seemed to work.

One last thing. This morning, Caleb again was slow to get out of bed. When he finally dragged his rear up the stairs, he complained that he was tired (well, go to bed earlier) and that me getting him up so early in the morning (it was 6:00 - so not that early) was adversely affecting his academic performance. I thought he was joking. He was not. I laughed at him and told him to get upstairs and get showered to which he responded, "You just don't understand," again, in all seriousness. Why is it that teens don't think their parents understand? He's no where close to as busy as I was as a junior in high school. The funniest thing about teens is that they all think they are so unique. So unique in fact, that nobody else in the world can possibly understand them - particularly not their parent who were never teenagers themselves or had to do biology homework, or go to seminary.

2 comments:

Jess and Jen said...

I laughed when I saw that BK ad. I thought it was great. -Jes

Mike and Adrianne said...

I haven't seen the ad yet..

I've never made jam but want to. I'm glad it was a success for you.

Chili powder around your flowers? I had no idea that worked.

About Caleb, well, I'll email you something I learned in college. I don't want to write it on this blog because if he reads it he might misinterpret what I'm saying and I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings.