Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Science Denial

The title comes from a talk by Michael Spector. He is a journalist at the New Yorker who talks about various subjects such as GM foods, vaccines, and our desire to believe anecdotes before evidence. I found his talk to be interesting but not entirely without fault. In light of several of the posts we have made as a family, I thought that I would post a link to his talk. It is just over 16 minutes long but I think it is worth it. If for nothing else than to provoke thought on the issue.

http://www.ted.com/talks/michael_specter_the_danger_of_science_denial.html

5 comments:

Jess and Jen said...

Interesting to watch. Thanks for the link. -Jen

Jess and Jen said...

Wait. Science. Isn't that what the liberals do? ;) -Jess

Mike and Adrianne said...

Mike was telling me about this link you posted on our hour long trip to the temple. He was getting very passionate about it. He is one of the most skeptical people I know. He liked this video. I did as well because I believe a lot of what he says.

It's interesting though, I am pretty sure that people are all about listening to science evidence that proves their point but are quick to disregard it when it doesn't. I think it is hard to find fair scientific evidence for anything. It seems like there is always a disput for everything...

Mike and Adrianne said...

rather, dispute.

Jason said...

Adrianne,

You are so right. As much as we (scientists) talk about being unbiased and objective, we are just as hard headed and passionate about what we precieve to be true as the next person. Sometimes to the exclusion of contridictory evidence. Richard Dawkins is a prime example. He is the scientific equivalent of Rush Limbaugh.