Sunday, December 9, 2012

Letter from Caleb 12-3-12

This next letter is different from normal.  I asked him LOTS of questions and told him he could just answer back right after the question to make it easier on him.

This is what he wrote and also what I wrote him:

Sheesh... Mom---->

On Sat, Dec 1, 2012 at 3:27 PM, Michelle Clark  wrote:
Hi Caleb,

So I have lots of questions so I hope you have a minute to answer them:

Did you get the small HEAVY package with the chili?  
I did, and I am really thankful. I don't think Ill need to buy ramen for a while.
Did you get the package with the homemade caramels?  I made those by the way.
The caramels are a hit here.
Did you like everything in the big package?
Duh. I love life cereal and its 6 bucks here.
What has been your favorite item so far that I have sent and what else do you need?
I just like opening packages. You could send me empty boxes filled with bubble wrap and I'd have a good time.

I know you still need a bike light and Dad did buy that, but then he forgot to put it in the big package.  I thought it was in there until I found out today that it wasn't.  So that will be sent on Monday and you should have it by Friday, I hope.
Please restate in question form.

What else would you like me to send besides a watch and an alarm clock?  I know you need those things and I'm working on it, just waiting on the next paycheck.
You're doing wonderfully. I need those things by February 3, which is the end of my training and when I get a new companion probably. Whenever works best for you works best for me.

What do you want for Christmas?
No more Ramen, please. Ha Ha.

Did you get all the clothing you needed from Missionary Mall?  Or are there still things you need?
I think so. Ill always take more (3) short sleeve white shirts and  (1) socks, but everything came that I expected.

How did tracting go this week?
Tracting went well. We only did an hour this week because we were so busy! We taught 22 Lessons this week, 14 of which being on Tuesday and Wednesday. We would have taught more, but on Thursday my bikes derailler snapped, and on Friday Elder Healey was vommiting, and on Saturday Elder Healey's bike tire burst. Like not just the tube, but the rubber tire came apart. It was spectacular. We spent a lot of time walking this week after Wednesday and it was unfortunate because we had lots of lessons planned!

Do you have any new investigators?
We got two new (old from the Area Book) investigators last week and we got one brand new investigator this week. She is almost ten and has a very inactive dad but active grandfather. She wants to be baptized so we are teaching her the lessons. She has a friend who wants to be baptized as well, and we hope to teach her friend and her mom beginning this week.
Any cool experiences this week?
We were teaching (name changed for privacy) Andrew for the first time in almost two weeks since (name changed for privacy) Tom died. He had just shared a story about how anytime he was sick or hurt, Tom always made the ASL sign for prayer and said a silent prayer for him right there, on the spot, no matter where they were. I felt prompted to sing "A Child's Prayer" for him, but really didn't want to. I didn't know all the words, I didn't want to sing in front of anyone, and if I messed up I'd feel really stupid. A few moments later I felt the same prompting. "Sing" it said. No, I wasn't going to. I would mess up the words and the spirit would leave I told myself. "If I tell you to do something, even if you mess up, I will not leave," came clear as day into my mind, and I knew I needed to sing. I said a quick prayer and asked Andrew if he wouldn't mind me singing a short verse out of a song from the childrens hymnbook. He looked at me with a quizicle expression, but said sure. I began singing it, and about a third into the first verse Andrew broke down into tears. I continued until the end of the verse, and Elder Healey asked Andrew what was wrong. Andrew said something Ill never forget. "As you sang those beautiful words, I realized that every prayer Tom ever said, was heard and answered. Every single one! How easy would it be to simply pray and ask God for help getting through this difficult time, when I know he will hear it and answer it?"
Wow. The spirit was so strong for the rest of the lesson, as Elder Healey and I testified of the truthfullness of the restored gospel of Jesus Christ. That night I prayed for forgiveness in almost ignoring the spirit and resolved to Heavenly Father that I would be open to any suggestion or prompting the spirit gave from then on. My life was blessed because I listened to the promptings of the spirit, and I know Andrew came closer to Christ.

Where do you actually live so I can google map it?
I don't know the exact address, but it's at the end of a street called Oak in Orange, California. It branches off of "palm" which connects to "Tustin" Casa de Sol apartments
How close are you to Disneyland?
I don't live in Anaheim. We can't go to disneyland either :/

Can you see Disneyland?
No, but some nights I hear some pretty spectacular fireworks. Gunshots too.

Is your mission in the LA area?
LA is it's own mission. My mission only covers 2/3 of Orange County, and 3 million people.

How close to a temple are you?
About 10 Minutes, but 40 with traffic.

Do you get to go to a temple ever?
Once a quarter we go to the Newport Beach Temple. I have not been yet.

Has it rained on you this week?  I check the weather out and it keeps saying 20% chance, so I wonder if you get rain.
I wouldn't call it rain, I would call it God's fury. It's mist, except really thick and the roads get super slick since it never rains and everyone hits each other and its really cool. And it sucks to bike in because its super cold mist and you become completely soaked once you move in it. It has rained for 4 days.

How is your ward?  Do you like it?
Ward is good. I guess?

Do you get fed often from members?
yeah, but I feel bad because only a few actually sign up and they end up signing up every two weeks sometimes.

How often do you have to make your own meals?
Often enough that I have gotten really good at making Pancakes and Eggs.
Did you get a bike helmet?
Yup.

How are your shoes and socks?
My socks are amazing. God's gift to feet. Get some. I bought 8 pair at missionary mall when I was in salt lake out of my money.

Did you like the socks I sent?
I don't know yet, haven't gotten to them in my cycle, but they look nice. They might be my Sunday socks.


I'll write more in another e-mail and if it's easier, then just answer back the questions I wrote in a different color right next to the questions.

Love,

Mom

4 comments:

Nancy said...

A Child's Prayer is the song I sing to myself or in my head when I'm scared, upset, etc. What a neat experience in listening to the Spirit.

The Duke said...

Sending him a letter this way is a good change and it specifically targets on things you want to know. He's doing pretty well in the letter-writing department, if you ask me.

Mike and Adrianne said...

What a cool story. I'm glad he listened to the spirit and had such a spiritual experience. It is so cool to me the way music can touch a person's heart.

Heidi said...

You are such a great mom and taking such good care of your missionary. Sounds like he's having some amazing experiences. I'm sure your family is being blessed for his service.