Saturday, May 21, 2011

Marion Arts Festival 5K, Saturday, May 21st, 2011

Today was the Marion Arts Festival 5K Run or Walk Race. I was excited for this race since it is the first race I did last year. Also it ended up being one of the best 5K races of last year because of the food at the end, the chip timing, the low cost, getting a shirt and all the fun stuff you get in your packet. This year topped last year because I beat my time on the same course by a minute. I also won a $10.00 Gift Certificate to Running Wild (running store I love)!
Last year my time was 30:24 with a pace of 9:50 per mile.
This year my time was 29:21 with a pace of 9:29 per mile.

Jason's time was 29:18 so he beat me by 3 seconds. I was so sure I had beat him because he never passed me, however he started the race 14 seconds after me so he was literally behind me the entire race, but because he was catching up to me he actually beat me in the end. Too weird, but cool for him because now he gets to rub it in all day that he beat me by 3 seconds.

Alyssa's time was 38:29 with a pace of 12:31 mile. This is awesome considering it was only her second 5K and her first one was 6 1/2 minutes slower than this one. That's a ton of improvement in only 3 weeks.

Brenden's time was 23:33. His pace was a 7:36 mile. Super great. He placed 8th in his age group.

Here are a few pictures:


Picture of just us girls.  From left to Right  Stephany, Jennie, Me, Stephenie and Alyssa in front.  We had just picked up our packets from the registration.

Timing chips on our shoes!

Group photo of all of us that rode together.
Left to Right:  Stephany Coleman, Stephenie Hogan, Jennie McQueen, Me, Jason, Alyssa, Brenden

Alyssa sprinting to the finish.    She beat her personal best time by 7 minutes!

Alyssa's tired look after the race.


An after race picture.  Stephenie, Me, Stephany and Jennie.  Notice in the background it is raining.  I'm so glad that it didn't rain on us during the race, it was scheduled to be really bad thunderstorms, but the storm waiting for us to finish the race and get our food and results before it poured.

Jason getting a massage after the race.  He said it was awesome!

Some of the post race food.  I have to say that this race really does a fabulous job with post race food.  They had the following items:  Water, Pink Lemonade, Heed Electrolyte drink, many assorted cans of soda and regular lemonaide, oranges, bananas, watermelon, animal crackers, cookies of all sorts, donuts, pretzels, granola bars, and some assorted candy!!!

The front of the shirt we received.

The back of the shirt we received.

Items that were in our race packet.

1 comment:

Alyssa said...

the food at the end of the race was great. I like the shirt better than the one last year that you have. I like the chap stick, polmergrante flavor. that race was fun and I want to do it next year.