Saturday, September 11, 2010

Park to Park Half Marathon

Today was the race I was looking forward to for months. My half marathon that I planned on running the entire way.

I have been training for this race since April and was doing great with training until a week ago when I developed a couple injuries.

First I strained the soleus muscle in my right leg. It hurt so bad that while running with my son Brenden last week, I ended up walking and then limping home and that was only a 3 mile run.

So I came home and immediately iced that muscle for 24 hours and then applied heat to it all week long. I also either cancelled or subbed out all my cardio classes last week so I could totally rest. Problem was, while resting I noticed my left foot hurt extremely bad and walking was super painful. Turns out I have plantar fasciitis in my left foot. If you've had that then you totally know what I'm going through, each step is horrible.

I was told by Jason, who has suffered with plantar fasciitis and others that once I got running I wouldn't notice the pain in my left foot, that it would actually feel better the further I ran.

So today was the day. I got up at 5:20a.m. and prepared for the run. At 6a.m. I left for the race.

7:30a.m. was the start time and all thousand of us were off and running.

My goal was to run the entire way. Deep down I really didn't feel that I would be able to.

By mile 4 everything hurt and I was worried that I would be ending this race early. By mile 6 I didn't feel my left foot pain anymore and that made me happy. By mile 8 my right knee started to hurt and I felt some pains in my right soleus muscle and was worried that soon I'd have to stop. Mile 9 I ate a Gu packet that was apple cinnamon flavored. YUM. I had more energy and was ready to proceed. Mile 11 I hurt everywhere all over again and was ready to walk, but proceeded on. When I saw the sign for Mile 12 I knew I would finish no matter what even if I had to walk. Mile 12 1/2 I kicked it up a bit. I ran harder and faster to have a great finish. One of my goals was to finish in two and a half hours or less and at mile 12 1/2 I was at 2 hours 21 minutes so I had to hurry. Mile 13 I could see the finish line and I began to cry for I knew I would finish. Then I crossed the finish line at 13.1 miles and I bawled and almost passed out. One of the volunteers for the race held me up and made me drink gatorade. Because of him I didn't pass out.

Within a few minutes I felt wonderful and had some treats, got a massage and received my finishing medal!






Final time 2:26:30



Once I arrived home my body had stiffened up a lot and I couldn't walk hardly at all. So I did what I was dreading. THE ICE BATH.

10 comments:

Dave and Tana said...

Wow. I think I would dread that ice bath as well. Uck. Way to conquer a half marathon, that is so amazing. There is so much will power behind it! Congrats for finishing!

Nancy said...

Congratulations! I definitely hobbled around for a couple days after my race. Way to finish even with all the injuries!

Mike and Adrianne said...

Awesome! I'm so proud of you. That ice bath looks no fun but I'm sure it helped you feel better! What a great acomplishment.

Mike and Adrianne said...

Awesome! I'm so proud of you. That ice bath looks no fun but I'm sure it helped you feel better! What a great acomplishment.

Jess and Jen said...

That's great! I'm so glad you could do it even with all of your injuries! Are you planning for another? Enjoy your rest time! -Jen

Lokodi said...

Congratulations girl!! That's amazing. I'm seriously impressed and I can't believe you still ran after all your injuries. You're an inspiration. I need to get my butt moving! That's really awesome.

Lindsey

Michelle said...

Today I feel like I've been run over. My left ankle hurts extremely bad. My right and left knees hurt. My outer thighs hurt and I really can't walk correctly. I am so super sore and have never in my life felt like this. I really beat myself up. I hope that with completely resting today and all the ice packs that have been on all the sore areas over and over that I will heal and be able to teach my aerobics classes this week.
The next long run I plan on doing is the Columbus, Ohio Half Marathon. It's not until the first Saturday of May and this way I can stay with my parents. I'm hoping my sister runs this one with me!!!
I have other short runs scheduled coming up, all of them are 5K races.
Jason, Brenden and I are doing a team Duathlon on September 25th. Duathlon is a Run/Bike/Run. This race is one we are all looking forward to. Brenden is running the 5K because he has a faster time than me. Jason will bike 20 miles, then I will run the 1 1/2 miles. Hopefully I will feel better in 2 weeks to do that!

Janessa said...

Wow! You are amazing! I'm so proud of you for hanging in there and meeting your goals, injuries ans all. What an inspiration! I hope you recover quickly. I can't belive all the upcoming races you have planned to run in. The team one sounds fun. Hope you're feeling up to it. Take care! Way to go!!!

Ammon said...

I'm so impressed with your determination! Congratulations on beating your time goal and for getting through it all the way. I have had planter faciatis at well and I have no idea how you got through that. I couldn't walk well for nearly 3 years without limping or hurting.
You're awesome!

Ammon said...

Sorry, that's Chris-not Ammon.