Wednesday, February 22, 2012

More irritation at the current state of education

Iowa City West High School has an average ACT score of 26. That's pretty good for an average. Almost every year they have at least one student get a perfect score. You'd think they must be reading the classics with great classroom discussions that teach them how to think independantly and objectively or that their math and science classes are being taught by teachers who know what the scientific method is and how to actually apply it. Instead, my boys are watching movies like "Star Wars" to look at examples of heroes or "The Day After Tomorrow" to discuss the impacts of mankind on the environment. I've expressed my concern to both teachers and administrators who then refer me to the Iowa State School Board approved cirriculum. Movies are actually an approved method of teaching. Now, I don't mind the boys watching an occasional movie or more appropriately, a documentary but it is getting stupid. Instead of reading Shakepeare, they are watching movies of Shakepeare's plays. This has been quietly boiling for a couple of years until just recently when I looked over Dan's shoulder at his homework. He was doing a work sheet for his American Humanities class on the movie "Platoon". I have never watched "Platoon" because it is rated R and would never allow my children to watch it either. I quietly asked Dan where the permission slip was and he informed me that he wasn't given one. In short, the teacher informed me that he sent home a letter at the beginning of the school year with the list of readings and movies he planned on showing and that he expected the students to give that to their parents. I of course never got that letter and was obviously unaware that he was showing R rated movies to his students. He claims that the movie is academically relevant and that there is nothing gratuitious in the movie. We are politely arguing that point back and forth by email at the present time.

It seems to me like our teachers are abdicating their responsibility to teach our youth to Hollywood. Daniel has been very influenced by this class this year and not in a good way. I am disgusted by the overall lack of respect parents get from educators.

4 comments:

Jess and Jen said...

I'd be pretty mad too! When my brother was in 7th or 8th grade his history teacher showed an R rated movie, but the kids had to have a permission slip signed. My brother was the only one out of seven classes that didn't watch the show. He skipped that part of school for the few days as they watched it...and my mom took him to do something fun, so he wasn't sad!

I worry about those types of situations as my kids get older. It is frustrating to send your kids to school everyday and have them watch movies. When Abby was in second grade they watched a movie (not an educational one) for 45 minutes every Wednesday afternoon. I am pretty sure that time could have been much better spent. They watched it at the end of the day and I was always tempted to just check her out of school early...she may as well be at home! -Jen

Jason said...

As a follow up, the assistant principal at West High is a friend of mine and apparently, the English teacher in question has been forwarding my emails on to her (he didn't know that she and I are friends) to let her know what "some parent" had to say. Last night, my friend thanked me for standing up and saying something and told me that they will be reviewing not only the policy regarding permission slips but the entire cirriculum of the class.

The Duke said...

This infuriates me. I'm glad you are making a stand. I think we did that a few times with questionable books you guys were supposed to read. (And I think "Jesus Christ Superstar" was among them.)
This morning in our scripture reading, we asked Ammon a few questions about Moses. He is studying the Old Testament in seminary this year so he is way past Moses at this point. We are reading in 2 Nephi. He didn't remember who Moses' spokesperson was (we didn't think he would remember) but he said, "Well, we watched "Prince of Egypt" in class when we talked about Moses!
ARE YOU KIDDING??? I said, "In seminary? Are you sure?" He was sure and Ammon does know movies. Seminary!!! Watching Disney movies because that's easier than trying to figure out how to make scriptures and stories more interesting.... Oh man was I disgusted. Lazy and irresponsible if you ask me.

Mike and Adrianne said...

I am glad you took a stand and took it to the teacher and the administration. If more parents did that then there would be better things happening in our schools. I know you disagree, but this is one of the reasons I think about home schooling. I know you argue that pulling your kid out of school is not the answer, and you may be right, and when all the parents are invested enough to take a stand to make these kind of positive changes, then I wouldn't have to consider taking my kid out of school. Anyway, just my thought.